3-Point seatbelts into a '64 Dart hardtop?

-

Mad Mechanic

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have a '64 Dart hardtop model and recently purchased a 3-point seatbelt kit from Seatbelts Plus. This kit is designed to have the should anchor mounted where the factory coat hanger hook is located above the rear quarter window.

Seatbelts Plus has instructions, but they aren't very good (in my opinion) which involve drilling out the coat hanger hook mounting hole to 1/2", then cutting a slot above this to slip the backing plate through, down behind the sheet metal. I have reservations about this approach.

I have already used the search function on the forum trying to find a solution or method that others have used in my position, but most discussions end up with people using 3-point kits that mount the shoulder anchor below the rear quarter glass instead of above the window.

I already have this kit and want to use it, so please no responses telling me to go buy a different seatbelt kit.

Attached are the instructions I was able to find on Seatbelt Plus' website, they don't even include these in the box, which is disappointing.

I do own a welder, so in theory I could weld the anchor plate into position. My concern with that is ruining the paint on the roof of my car from heat dispersion.

Please let me know if you have used a kit like this and how you installed it.

Thank you.

Capture.PNG

The only thing I can think of is a product we used to use at work to protect areas from heat, the product was called Cool Blue which is a heat resisting paste. I don't know how well it or a product like this will work around paint, if you call a weld shop they may have some better info.

I installed 3 point seatbelts in my 64 hardtop sedan. I welded the anchor plate to the b-pillar.

I know you have a different kit, but I'll explain my process and you can take what you need from that.

I ground down the paint on the inside of the pillar where I intended to place the anchor, and then clamped it in place. (I had drilled a hole in the b-pillar for the nut on the other side) I welded half of the top, went and welded the passenger side one in the same place, came back and welded the half of the bottom, and repeated on the passenger side. Repeated until I had welded all of it. By going back and forth I was able to prevent building up too much heat and let it dissipate. Just don't try to weld too much all at once, take your time.
38AA079F-DBB2-460C-B4C3-6682B6A69336.JPG
CBB10524-B709-4D23-A5A5-E1E1CEA81A68.JPG
ED428A18-66A4-4606-BE27-CDF223D3711D.JPG
C2CBC261-DDB6-4E35-A8D9-5BCD33DE44B4.JPG

Thank you all for your responses. I may still end up welding the reinforcement plate in, not sure yet. If I do I will try the technique chinze57 mentioned of welding small portions at a time and letting it cool.

Kesteb - Thank you for the link to your installation. I'm not sure if I will be able to implement any of your documentation though as my car does not have a B-pillar.

What about a towel drenched in cold water placed on the painted side, would that be enough to keep the heat from penetrating the paint?
I really don't know, just thinking of options.

What about a towel drenched in cold water placed on the painted side, would that be enough to keep the heat from penetrating the paint?
I really don't know, just thinking of options.
Honestly anything that you do to dissipate heat is a good idea. A cold towel placed around the welding area and a cold towel on top with some ice on it would help. the towel prevents scratching and the ice absorbs a bunch of heat. But, the roofs are pretty thin sheet metal (at least mine is), so even that might not be enough.

-
Back