dibbons

Reaction score
Local store offers:
1) 3M 8500 General Auto Body Sealer
2) 3M 3200 Marine Fast Cure Adhesive (glue) and Sealer
3) 3M 8690 Urethane Window Weld

Unless anyone has some objections, I will probably use choice #1
Thank you.

I don't use 3-M. I use "Lord-Fusor" brand, I think they are better. Lots of body shops use them also. Excellent seam sealers.
barracudadave67

I gotta agree with the others: From my own experience, Lord Fusor is the ticket - though you will need the special mix gun. Fusor 123EZ or 129. The latter cures pretty fast.

Even brushable seam sealer in a can would be better than that 3M stuff in the caulk tube. It's probably not a whole lot different than 3m Fast-n-Firm Seam Sealer which is old school and horrible.

http://www.lord.com/products-and-so...ound_Control&types=ProductDetail&year=&month=

The question I have about Lord Fusor is this (re: product 123EZ for example):

Substrates

Apply over 2K primers; urethane 2K chemistry

Features and Benefits

Versatile – bonds to epoxy or urethane primed surfaces; weld through with minimal burn back.

I will be sealing over Rust Oleum Rusty Metal (Red) Primer which is an Oil
Modified alkyd formula. Will it stick?

Attachments

• DSC00024.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 177
I will be sealing over Rust Oleum Rusty Metal (Red) Primer which is an Oil
Modified alkyd formula. Will it stick
?

You would have to ask the company to be sure. But in my opinion, I doubt it will be an issue. The stuff is a very sticky substance while uncured and will bond to just about anything.

If you want to save some bucks, a quart can of brushable seam sealer would probably work just fine. Mask off either side of the seam, glop it on with a brush, and pull the tape. It'll darn near look factory.

I'd mask for clean lines while using the two part products too. Gun it, tool with finger, pull the tape (fast).

I am getting nowhere researching this Lord Fusor thing:

Thank you for contacting LORD Fusor.

The recommended primer for LORD Fusor 123EZ is a good quality, two part, fully cured epoxy primer. The second option would be a good quality, two part urethane primer.

We do not have test data for product compatibility regarding the primer you list below. I would recommend testing the primer and adhesive on some scrap material to confirm that the product perform together per your requirements.

Fusor has a caulk gun cartridge sealer that I use # 800 I think. The 2 part is nice stuff but $$. All sealers are different on whether they are dtm or need primer, I don't think you'll have an issue as long as the paint is fully dry.

Brushable seam sealer works good for inside under the cowl

-
Back