3 speed/4 speed clutch?

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
The victim is a 69 D100 with a 225 and a 3 speed. I am putting in a new motor and figured that i would replace the almost dead clutch at the same time. Eventually I will be putting in an aluminum OD 44 speed out of a later model truck or van but I don't want to have to replace the clutch again when I do that. Is there a difference between the older 3 speed clutch and the newer (80's) 4 speed clutch?

I haven't pulled the motor from the truck yet but I'm pretty sure it has an 11" clutch because there were no other options on the parts store website.

The 11" clutch wont fit in the bellhousing for the s6/833od, it uses the little 9" clutch and small flywheel. The np435 4spd might bolt up to the 3spd housing and use the 11" clutch but its not OD and some have a granny low gear that you drive like a 3spd anyway.

Hmmm, so I either have to get the OD 4 speed now or see how long the clutch that is in there will last :angry7: At least pulling a 4 speed and doing a clutch isn't that hard.

Too bad you are so far away, I have a long shaft OD trans in Kansas City, with rods and shifter from a truck, that would probably swap in nicely.

Do you have the bellhousing also? There is one in a local yard that I have to call and see if they still have it or if they have crushed it yet. If not what would you want for it not counting shipping?

I would expect that a light duty 1/2 ton D100 with a \6 is going to have the standard 10" clutch (not to be confused with a 10 1/2 used on v8's). I would only expect to see the 11" clutch in a 3/4 ton truck. You will need to measure the disk to be sure. The splines on the disk and input shafts of the trannies are the same in either case.

The 10" clutch bolts to the same flywheel as the 9 1/2" clutch used on a \6 cars. If you have the 10" (they are listed on NAPA online #NNC MU15251) you will be able to use the A833OD and it's bell housing.

FWIW, when I rebuilt the \6 in my 68 Barracuda I installed an A833OD in place of the 3spd at the same time. I ordered a 10" D100 \6 clutch from NAPA. It worked perfectly.

problem solved! I called the yard and they still have the truck so I will head up there this weekend and grab everything from the flywheel to the driveshaft for around $70.00! :cheers:

-
Back