3 speed vs. Variable speed wiper ??

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I have noticed references to both a 3 speed wiper motor and a variable speed wiper motor .
What is the difference if there is one and do they use different switches ?

My dilema is that when I decided to restore this 68 Barracuda I ordered a wiring harness with a 3 speed wiper option . The car originally came with 2 speed . (pretty stupid since I will seldom drive this car in the rain...)
I just picked up a 3 speed motor from a 71 Duster , but the switch was already gone. What years and models of cars can I get the correct donor switch from ?

3-speed and variable-speed wipers use the same type of motor assembly and the same reverse-to-park system. The difference between the two is in the switch. A 3-speed switch has three discrete positions (low, medium, high). A variable-speed switch has a continuous range from low to high. I'm not sure what year the more complicated variable-speed switch was replaced by the simpler (and therefore less costly to build) 3-speed switch, but think it might've been '68. Your switch interchange is probably '68-'76.

The 2-speed wiper uses a different motor and a 2-speed switch, and like its predecessor the 1-speed wiper has no reverse-to-park function.

Yep, now having looked in the FPCs it seems '72 was the first year the A-bodies had a 3-speed rather than a variable-speed switch.

Dan,

Any ideas on improving the SPEED of the wiper system? I have finally gotten to the point on Red's restoration that very soon the glass needs to be put in, which means the wiper system, the heater, the dash and a/c, the headliner all have to go in first. I am bringing each bit out and making them as near as new as possible- and have to start on the wipers. To call them inadequate for rain use- especially passing an 18 wheeler- is an understatement! Thinking of changing the geometry of the system for more sweep speed. . .but can't get my mind around the problem of sweep distance changing too, let alone the strain on the transmission, less torque and all that.

Would take the original 2 speed and swap it for a 3 speed if that would help.

Suggestions?

-
Back