3-speed wiper operation

-

OleNatesOlds

Reaction score
I've looked and looked, but can't find a simple explanation on the operation of the variable/3 speed wiper. What is actually supposed to happen as one turns the knob through its various positions? Thanks

I never found an acceptable explanation when I was fixing mine either, but the basics are that the switch activates mixed and multiple wire windings in the motor to create the different speeds.
Never found which wires use which windings though, so I said to heck with it and got another one for about 30 bucks or so.

1 click -low speed,
then variable like a rheostat on a light switch, only less of a variance in resistance through the sweep,
last click - it goes to high speed.

Yeah, I have found the same, except I can't see a discernible increase in speed from the last of the variable part, to the high speed click. Seems to me to just go the same speed as the highest part of the rheostat part.

I think on most of them, if not all 3 speeds it is 1 click=Low 2=Med 3=High
Thats the way my 73 Swinger is. (no rheostat function)

The control in operation happens within the switch right? It should be possible to change it out for the '80s Ford F-150/Jeep Wagoneer wiper switch/module in order to get a nice delay function. I have read this is possible on '70s Ram trucks with 4-wire wiper motors.

The control in operation happens within the switch right? It should be possible to change it out for the '80s Ford F-150/Jeep Wagoneer wiper switch/module in order to get a nice delay function. I have read this is possible on '70s Ram trucks with 4-wire wiper motors.

Not positive about this but I seem to remember that it was a module that you can use out of the Ford system, not the switch itself.
Google "Ford wiper delay module" and you will find it.

-
Back