3/tree woes

-

rdb

Reaction score
Paid a lot to have a 3 tree put in the '64 Dart Convert that had PB auto. Trans was rebuilt, but there are big column shift probs. Back in the day my original 64 Dart never had this, but that was a different car, and over 40 years ago. But the lever keeps getting stuck/jammed... some times it will be in neutral position, but still in 1st. Had to crawl home a few miles in 1st with 21st century traffic not pleased at this.

Options are (??)

fix this if possible

find freak of nature really good condition steering column /column shift in black without all the lose/slop feel off this

give up and shell out for 4/floor.

you sound like me!!! thungs to check on":

the adjusting wheel at the cable is slightly off.?

the pushbutton mechanism needs t be cleaned and lubed with spray silicone ( what has been recommended to me)

the pushbutton is missing / broken part?

the adjustment for the pushbutton vs a floor shift is different, that is the position you start at.

hope this helps.

there are other methods to adjust he sucker. I forget where I found them now.

you sound like me!!! thungs to check on":

the adjusting wheel at the cable is slightly off.?

the pushbutton mechanism needs t be cleaned and lubed with spray silicone ( what has been recommended to me)

the pushbutton is missing / broken part?

the adjustment for the pushbutton vs a floor shift is different, that is the position you start at.

hope this helps.

there are other methods to adjust he sucker. I forget where I found them now.

On a 3 speed column shift??? :D

To the OP,
It sounds like slop in the connecting joints of the linkage and/or out of adjustment linkage issues.
Locking in a gear us usually adjustment problems.
I have tightened up a lot of manual linkages in my life and it takes time and patience to do it but can be done with nylon bushings and spring washers (even if you have to go to Ace Hardware for basic nylon sleeves and make the bushings)

I think I would do this first, and then check adjustment

I have a 3 on the tree steering column that I took out of my 65 dart it is disassembled but all the parts are there. So whatever you need it's yours you just need to ride. PM me when you get a chance or if you still have my number give me a call

-
Back