3 wire VR connector

-

mcnoople

Reaction score
Years back I installed an isolated field alternator with the flat regulator in a 65 valiant. I don't recall what donated the wiring, but the other day I was visiting the car in storage and noticed a condensor hanging off of the voltage regulators connector.

The funny thing is that it is wired into the connector and looks nice and proper, but does not have a pin to hook it to anything. there isn't even a hole in the rubber on the inside of the connector. So my question is why did chrysler attach it if they didn't plan on it even being hooked.

And just to be ultra clear in what I am trying to describe. Triangular vr connector usually has 2 wires, this one has 3 wires but only 2 pass through to the inside of the connector.

Anyone have any thoughts on where I got it and what it was for?

Are you sure it's not hooked internally, in the molded connector, to the "I" terminal?

I cannot find my '70 manual, right now, but I believe the 70 connectors actually did have 3 terminals

It might be internal inside the rubber, I can't see the connection point and I didn't really want to pierce the wire just to check. Plus I didn't have a DVOM on me anyways. So likely internal connection? Would it be a electrical noise suppressor then?

Yes, and I'd be tempted to remove it. As old as that cap is (condenser in the old world), it could fail and short. The ignition bus on those cars are NOT fused.

-
Back