315's on the front of a Duster??

-
Does this even seem reasonable?

Price-Buster Duster: Keeping It Simple With Leftover Parts - Hot Rod Network

Says he is running a 315/30R18 square setup. Tubs in the rear make sense, but I didn't think a 315 in the front without some streatching and flairs was possible.

@72bluNblu you are getting behind. :poke: :lol:
he cut the fenders and went with small offset.im more surprised the spindles are holding up. If you listen to the guys on Moparts, they claim the mopar spindle bearings are too small to handle the stresses of wide front tires like that

Yeah, “minimal rubbing” can mean anything. As in, it probably rubs a lot. You can see the scuffing on the sidewalls in some of those pictures, that’s not a recipe for tire longevity. And it depends on use too- on a car that rarely sees street use you can get away with a lot more than one that has do deal with crappy public roads everyday.

The other thing is, he’s running 18x10’s. The minimum recommended width for a 315/30/18 is 10.5”, and the measuring rim is an 11”. So, those tires aren’t anywhere near the advertised width specs for those 315’s. I bet they measure more like 295’s for width.

I think on my car I could probably run 285’s on 18x10’s and make it work with the fender rolling I have. That’d be about it though for my car. At least at the height I run it at on the roads I frequent.

he cut the fenders and went with small offset.im more surprised the spindles are holding up. If you listen to the guys on Moparts, they claim the mopar spindle bearings are too small to handle the stresses of wide front tires like that

I mean, I guess if they’re 9” drum spindles it could be a problem. But if they’re 10” drum or KH spindles then I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Sure the bearings could be bigger but it’s not a catastrophic issue. Just eat wheel bearings faster.

Last edited:
Yeah, “minimal rubbing” can mean anything. As in, it probably rubs a lot. You can see the scuffing on the sidewalls in some of those pictures, that’s not a recipe for tire longevity. And it depends on use too- on a car that rarely sees street use you can get away with a lot more than one that has do deal with crappy public roads everyday.

The other thing is, he’s running 18x10’s. The minimum recommended width for a 315/30/18 is 10.5”, and the measuring rim is an 11”. So, those tires aren’t anywhere near the advertised width specs for those 315’s. I bet they measure more like 295’s for width.

I think on my car I could probably run 285’s on 18x10’s and make it work with the fender rolling I have. That’d be about it though for my car. At least at the height I run it at on the roads I frequent.

I mean, I guess if they’re 9” drum spindles it could be a problem. But if they’re 10” drum or KH spindles then I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Sure the bearings could be bigger but it’s not a catastrophic issue. Just eat wheel bearings faster.

I think 73+ disc spindles would be fine too.

As for the width, if I recall right, bentdart’s running 285s up front on his dart without rolling the fenders. But i think they’re shorter tires than normal, like 24-25ish in height. Cant imagine the dusters are much different

Along with the "minimal rubbing", I assume the frame rails and wheelwells double as steering stops.

-
Back