318 2 brl misfire or something else

-

Airdwayne

Reaction score
Ever since I took of the dizzy cap and rotor, and put the back, my car feels sluggish, rough idle and bogs and sputters on acceleration.

update: checked wires around distributor, seen stream of fuel as i opened throttle, turned in screw for choke lever holding it open, and tapped fuel bowl. my guess is maybe it was flooded, needs new float or choke stays closed.

as of now the car won't start and looks like something coming out the air filter when trying to start it. it all started with me removing the cap and rotor. took a picture and put it back together. the next morning it would start only with the gas pedal pushed but die if i let off. to day it started fine but still had some sluggish, bogging acceleration. popped a few times on the freeway so i took the street. had no power and took a while to even reach 35mph. went to park on the 2 floor of a garage and it had trouble getting up. got up slow but once up would shake and rattle and idle real bad. shut it off. on a break i removed cap and rotor again. put back rotor and noticed the shaft went down a little and could rotate about a quarter turn or a little less. now car won't start and sounds like the starter is having trouble turning. starts to turn fine then slows down like stuck. please help, i need to get home and back to work tomorrow.

Is the distributor loose? Maybe it turned some when you were messing with the cap.

I've tried turning it and it doesn't budge. The rotor and shaft turnabout a quarter turn. The distributor has the hole for the vacuum advance but not installed.

You do have the rotor on right don't you? There is a notch in the shaft and a plug inside the rotor to line them up.

A little movement in the shaft is normal.

Yeah I have it on right. Drove it to work which is about 10 minutes away from home and seemed to get worse and worse.

-
Back