318/340 questions please help!!

-
Plus itd been funny as hell when some guy rolls up to me and askes "Whats that thing got in it?" and I say a 318 and he laughes at me till I show him what its like lol I love the thought of that!

I'm sure theres quite a few here that would say the same about you...:-D:-D

Don't count this white boy among them. Justin is one of the most knowledgeable people on here. Maybe his deliver is too much for the mamby pansy crowd, but he knows his stuff. I'll back him up on it any day of the week.

Don't you have somewhere else to be stupid?

The OP clearly states he wants a 318 or 340...........

Why must you guys keep pushing the 360? Blind/deaf/dumb/impaired or what?

They are all of the above.

I say get the 318, too. Even with 302 heads, (if you can find some uncracked ones) even unported with stock valve sizes, 400 HP is not an impossibility with smart parts choices.

Before calling someone something its best to know that person(just a little tip for ya':thebirdm:)...i'm just trying to help the guy out before he dumps/waste money into 318,..but i guess live and learn the hard way for some..been there done that,wouldn't put 2 cents into a 318 again learned that lesson long ago...

The OP clearly states he wants a 318 or 340...........

Why must you guys keep pushing the 360? Blind/deaf/dumb/impaired or what?

uh HELLO! BECAUSE THE 360's ARE CHEAP GREAT ENGINES! thats why duh
(its the guys wanting to put SBC 350's in everything that are Blind/deaf/dumb/impaired)
not the ones pushing LA 360's or MAGNUM 5.9's they are the smart ones

Of coarse theres more 360's in everything..for a good reason...

I disagree. I bet the 318 production well out numbers that of the 360, especially considering the 318 began production in 1967. FOUR full years ahead of the 360. If I were you, I would stop sayin stupid stuff. Then, people might stop accusin you of bein that.

I disagree. I bet the 318 production well out numbers that of the 360, especially considering the 318 began production in 1967. FOUR full years ahead of the 360. If I were you, I would stop sayin stupid stuff. Then, people might stop accusin you of bein that.

I thing he is saying its because they are a good engine, not because there are more of them than 318's, but I bet there are a lot more 360's than 340's

Before calling someone something its best to know that person(just a little tip for ya':thebirdm:)...i'm just trying to help the guy out before he dumps/waste money into 318,..but i guess live and learn the hard way for some..been there done that,wouldn't put 2 cents into a 318 again learned that lesson long ago...

Uhm........... Did I call you anything? I just asked you if you had anywhere else to be stupid...... You expect people to listen to you in this thread, but you keep on with the 360....

Let me try again.........

THE ORIGINAL POSTER, THE DUDE WE ARE TRYING TO HELP, DOES NOT WANT A 360...............

Here's another fact, my 318, can make more power than your 360..... Because my 318 has a 4" stroke.......

And, if you have wasted money in a 318, and wont do it again, then you musta notta known whatta youa werea doin'....... And from your posts, I believe exactly that.

uh HELLO! BECAUSE THE 360's ARE CHEAP GREAT ENGINES! thats why duh
(its the guys wanting to put SBC 350's in everything that are Blind/deaf/dumb/impaired)
not the ones pushing LA 360's or MAGNUM 5.9's they are the smart ones

360 pushing, to a guy that doesn't want one.... where's the sense in that?

Justin (crazyguy) misread and thought someone was arguing for a 348 over a 390, he didn't mean the motor istelf was BS.

I don't really care for 360's either, but would run one before a 340, but then again, I like smaller bore engines, and thats why.

Good luck, and don't siscount the 390 option yet, it may be near the same price as the 348 option, after you check into it. (then just tell em it's a 318) BWAAAHAAAAHAAAAA

personally I would take the 340 over a 360, but feel free to keep pushing 360's on people if you like

The keys keep a clickin' but no ones home.........................................

I'll ask again, don't you have anywhere else to be stupid????

first LEARN TO READ! try going back to school or something, no where does he say he doesn't want one, he just asks about the difference between a 318 and a 340
(bet you feel kind of stupid now don't ya?)

oh and MOOSE dont let all this bickering discourage you, just harmless lunatics ranting!

first LEARN TO READ! try going back to school or something, no where does he say he doesn't want one, he just asks about the difference between a 318 and a 340
(bet you feel kind of stupid now don't ya?)

oh and MOOSE dont let all this bickering discourage you, just harmless lunatics ranting!

Since you don't have someplace to be stupid, I'll make you a place.....

And I believe Moose hasn't taken a letter you have typed serious..... :-D

Thanks for all your post (yes even the 360 guys) there no need to fight on my behalf guys, I thought about a 360 just not on this project maybe another time but thanks for the imput still. And thanks for even one else with theres as well

I've got to go with dodgetkboy78 on this one. My first Dart had a modified 318. It ran 12.60s n/a and 11.60s with a 100 shot of nitrous. That was back in the early '80s.

My 318 had 340 heads, rods and crank. I ran flat top pistons for use with the nitrous. Compression was about 9.0. I ran a Crower mechanical cam with the ductile iron rocker arms. Intake was a Victor JR and carb was a 700 dbl pumper.

The thing loved to rev. I shifted it at 7000 rpm. I ran 4:88 gears and a 4200 stall converter. It hooked like crazy on the street and blew away a lot of bigger motor cars who spun their way through 1st gear.

That said... If I had put all of those goodies into a 360, it would have went faster. The guy I sold my car to put a 360 in it and was running 11s, without nitrous.

My Duster ran 11.50's, with a Mopar Perf 590/610 roller cam, ported X heads, harland rockers, etc. Shifted it at 7500 with a 3500 stall RPM, with stock steel crank, light duty floating rods, and TRW pistons. Lots of time in that little guy, Hundreds of hours of work on the heads, and the port o sonic.... Don't regret one minute or dollar I out into that 318. Car had 4.88's too, and would eat anything else I ever ran across on the street. Neat little car, I miss it dearly. I actually wonder if anyone here in Lynden WA has a Charcoal Grey 74 Duster ............ One of these days I'll start on my 72, but a ten speed roadranger in my one ton, a five speed OD in my 74 Dually, paint and rear end swap on the wifes ramcharger, and a restore on my sons 70 D200 seem to be ahead of my lil Duster. But I do plan on building a 4" stroke 273 for it, jsut so the nimnims can scoff......... BWAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAAAA Think of the SNAP that lil motor will have!

My 340 heads were untouched other than a nice valve job. W2 heads were the latest and considered "unobtanium" for most. I built that motor as a starving student.

You'll love the picture of me with the motor!! The '70s were very good to me:toothy10:

Attachments

• fro.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 166
HAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats some serious hear yo!

I have no pics of my life before the age of 20, Mom and dads house burned down..... It sucks..........

Thanks for all your post (yes even the 360 guys) there no need to fight on my behalf guys, I thought about a 360 just not on this project maybe another time but thanks for the imput still. And thanks for even one else with theres as well

Sorry, man. Thread went straight down the crapper. You can do plenty with a 318, and if that's what you want to build, then by all means, go for it. The power you can make will probably be limited by your bank account.

It didn't go down the crapper, it turned into entertainment...... Most of the info was sorted out, and his decision was made by the second page.... :)

I have no pics of my life before the age of 20, Mom and dads house burned down..... It sucks..........

Truly sorry to hear that. A friend lost everything he had in one of the California fires just a couple years ago. Devastating.

I even had a funny vid of the backfiring Duster on start up, vid of it at the track, vid of my 413 power dually doing cookies on the pavement, the 400 cleveland power 79 F350 12' flatbed at the strip doing 14.5's, all my four wheeler ice races, snowcross races, vid of the 82 /6 lebaron we jumped 72 feet....... Ahhhhhh, what fun.........

Fire sucks.

-
Back