318/360 engine converter help needed

-

Kidd

Reaction score
The 318 engine in my sons 63 Valiant wagon went boom. We scored a running 360 for it. Got the converter also as that's part of the balancing. Well, we just figured out at the last minute that his 904 trans in the car doesn't work with the new converter, turns out doner engine was with a 727. Is there a part number for a simple order 904 external balanced converter for a 360? Or is this custom order stuff? Thanks in advance. He is sad that this is holding him up. Lol. All part if the mopar swap game though.
Andrew/Kidd

buy the B&M 360 flexplate and reuse your orig convertor. Check the crank pilot hub though, I think the early convertors had a smaller hub, may require a spacer ring to center the convertor in the crank. Not sure on the years though, best to measure what you have

Thanks!! Will go and mic the 2 converters and crank holes . Will look for a B&M flex plate too. Thanks!

Looking at B&M part number 10239. Look right ?

The pilot size on an early 904 converter measures 1.550", the size of the hole in the crank flange. A later (1968 and up) converter will have a pilot that measures 1.810". The idea of a spacer ring seems to me to be wrong. The hub centers the converter to the transmission and engine crank. The spacer ring will also probably will push the converter hub too far into the pump gears. Converters have a SPECIFIC HEIGHT and any alteration from this height will give you problems. Find a competent converter rebuilder and have one built for your application.

The pump bushing was the same for all 904's, so the hub size never changed. The only difference in the bushings was the choice of material the bushing was made from, either babbit or bronze.

The pilot size on an early 904 converter measures 1.550", the size of the hole in the crank flange. A later (1968 and up) converter will have a pilot that measures 1.810". The idea of a spacer ring seems to me to be wrong. The hub centers the converter to the transmission and engine crank. The spacer ring will also probably will push the converter hub too far into the pump gears. Converters have a SPECIFIC HEIGHT and any alteration from this height will give you problems. Find a competent converter rebuilder and have one built for your application.

The pump bushing was the same for all 904's, so the hub size never changed. The only difference in the bushings was the choice of material the bushing was made from, either babbit or bronze.
Nope, the spacer is just a ring that fits the old smaller converter hub, but it doesn't change how far the converter fits into the crank hub. Its pretty simple, and its been being done for years.

We got the B&M flexplate, but now we are getting a new oil pan, as this car pan has a short front section.Should be like 4 inches, this one is was shorter.My son order it today, so nect weekend I hope.

-
Back