318 4bbl to FI ?

-

WoodenNickle

Just Damn.....
Reaction score
My son has an 84 D150 with a 318 4bbl. All fine and dandy down here where we don't have smog checks, but he's moving to a state that does have smog checks. I'd like to do some work to his truck and bring it up to him. How difficult would it be to slap another engine in it with fuel injection? Assume that I have access to a junkyard with plenty of FI engines that come complete with wire harness and ecm. What would I have to do for a swap? I'd rather not change anything on the 318 because I was thinking of taking it out and using it in my 72 Dart, replacing my slant.

If it didn't come with FI, then it won't need it to pass inspection. Just a carb and cat converter should get the job done.

really ya hafta check with "where ever" you are going to have to pass.

really ya hafta check with "where ever" you are going to have to pass.

This first ^^^^^^^^^^^^.

I assume the truck came with a 318 2bbl. It really depends on how that location does their tests? If it's still just a tailpipe sniffer, you may just pass with the current setup, and possibly a Cat as was mentioned earlier. If it's a visual also, and they are really strict, you may have to find a replacement 2bbl setup to pass that?

It might take a little effort, but I got cars with headers, intakes, cams, etc. thru the old Maryland system back in the 80's.

As far as all that swap stuff.....You don't need to spend all that coin for emissions. Most states have a exemption clause that may cost a minimal amount of $$$ for them to basically look the other way.

As far as you needing "that" 318, the're a dime a dozen in most areas.

Thanks guys. I Java access to three of the best junkyards in Atlanta. Pull-A-Part is the cleanest junkyard I've ever seen and selection along with price cannot be beat.

I was also asking because the truck gets about 17 to 20 mpg in its current setup. Was thinking an injected setup would improve that number as well as help him with testing. He loves the truck, hates the gas bill.

Im curious about this swap as well! I have an 84 with 360 4bbl. Up here if its older than 25 years old than no need for sniff test. Thats one reason I bought the truck. BUT my mileage is horrible and was thinking a FI or TB swap.....

Mileage of 17 to 20 is great for a pickup. You won't get much better w FI.

-
Back