318 Cam advice,

-

lowbudget

Mopar Man
Reaction score
I over in the middle east until the 8th. When I get home I'm planning to do a compression test and leak down test on my 318. This will tell me what shape my motor is in. If it checks out ok I'm thinking of putting a Hughes Whiplash cam in it. Has anyone run one of these? If so what were your thoughts. If will be going in a 1978 Aspen Wagon with a factory 318 4bbl. motor. I will do the springs and seals. And depending on my leak down I'll do the valves, seats and guides if needed. I was just wondering if any one was running one and how they like it.
Thanks Mike

Any performance cam is a major step up over stock 318 cam, your engine has a low CR I pick the smallest whiplash cam if your going that route.

Thanks, depending on what I find it might be time for a rebuild. I just thought it would be nice to toss a cam in and start rebuilding a different block I have lying around.

Maybe a call to Hughes Engines or even Jegs or Summit tech support would be a great Idea too. I would recommend a Cam/Header/Carburetor combination. It can be a real science, but more air & Fuel in & out = more HP.

Or at least dual exhaust with 360 manifolds, zero decked KB's would go nice with your 360 heads and give you 9:1+ CR with a thin gasket or mill your heads for 68cc chambers.

TTI's and a dual exhaust are in the plan. I was hoping to toss a cam in it while I built a short block. I talked with Hughes already and was just wondering if anyone had used their Whiplash cam as it is suppose to take in the low stock compression ratio into account.
Oh yeah it's an F body but I figure there was a better chance of someone here using that cam then the FMJ body site......
Thanks Mike

-
Back