318 Carb Questions

-

danielr410

Reaction score
Wasn't planning to do the 4bbl upgrade to my 66 318 Dart (Only mod is dual exhaust) yet but came across with a cheap iron intake but don't know exactly wich year and wich car was taken off. Number is 4323352 and is spread bore.

Have some doubts

1. I can only install a spread bore carb without an adapter right?

2. I have a low budget but also never have built a carb, so would a Thermoquad would be too hard to get running? Wich other options do I have if I want the best combination of mileage and street performance? Im planning to change the cam also when I take the engine apart.

Wasn't planning to do the 4bbl upgrade to my 66 318 Dart (Only mod is dual exhaust) yet but came across with a cheap iron intake but don't know exactly wich year and wich car was taken off. Number is 4323352 and is spread bore.

Have some doubts

1. I can only install a spread bore carb without an adapter right?

2. I have a low budget but also never have built a carb, so would a Thermoquad would be too hard to get running? Wich other options do I have if I want the best combination of mileage and street performance? Im planning to change the cam also when I take the engine apart.
You can put a eddy carb on with a flat adaptor, about 12 bucks.
Edelbrock Carburetor Adapters 2732
You can put a Holley on with a aluminum 1" adaptor, about 16 bucks.
Mr. Gasket Carburetor Adapter Kits 1932

So is better to put a square bore carb?
no, if you have a TQ intake a TQ works best. I just listed options. The reason the eddy carb only needs that flat adaptor is because the eddies have two bolt patterns for mounting the carb. Holleys have one.

no, if you have a TQ intake a TQ works best. I just listed options. The reason the eddy carb only needs that flat adaptor is because the eddies have two bolt patterns for mounting the carb. Holleys have one.

A TQ works best because it doesn't need an adapter or because will work best for my application? I just want some more power specially off the line. Still not sure what are the differences between square and spread bore carbs torque wise.

A TQ works best because it doesn't need an adapter or because will work best for my application? I just want some more power specially off the line. Still not sure what are the differences between square and spread bore carbs torque wise.
I said TQ because if you have a spread bore intake, just by design the spread bore TQ would perform best. But the other choices will perform "good".

What year of 318 do you have in the car?

As far as I know it is a 76. Casting number is 4008730.
If you don't have a good TQ, I would put a 670 Holley street avenger on top of the cast intake, but I would narrow some of the center divider on the cast intake first to help the square bore carb.

If you don't have a good TQ, I would put a 670 Holley street avenger on top of the cast intake, but I would narrow some of the center divider on the cast intake first to help the square bore carb.

I don't have anything yet, just looking for the best options giving my needs and budget.

Don't want to modify the intake so I'm guessing a spread bore will be better.

The thing with the TQ is many people say they are hard to tune and honestly I don't have much experience with carbs. How about a QJ?

I don't have anything yet, just looking for the best options giving my needs and budget.

Don't want to modify the intake so I'm guessing a spread bore will be better.

The thing with the TQ is many people say they are hard to tune and honestly I don't have much experience with carbs. How about a QJ?
QJ would work too. IF you don't know how to tune a TQ and don't want to learn, stay away from them. Grinding the divider on the intake to be narrower is simple. A Dremel or air die grinder will make fast work out of it.

QJ would work too. IF you don't know how to tune a TQ and don't want to learn, stay away from them. Grinding the divider on the intake to be narrower is simple. A Dremel or air die grinder will make fast work out of it.

So a QJ is easier to tune? Wich other options do I have for spread bore carbs that can be found cheap?

Forgot to mention is a 3 speed auto so I guess I need vaccum secondaries right? How do I identify wich type of secondaries a carb has?

So a QJ is easier to tune? Wich other options do I have for spread bore carbs that can be found cheap?

Forgot to mention is a 3 speed auto so I guess I need vaccum secondaries right? How do I identify wich type of secondaries a carb has?
not say'n a QJ is easier to tune, just said they would work as well. Automatic has nothing to do with vacuum secondary, double pumper, TQ, Holley, edelbrock, QJ... etc

-
Back