318 exhaust cutouts

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Has anyone ever put exhaust cutouts on a 318? Eventhough I am sticking with the manifolds I purchased for it, my buddy can weld some cutouts in. I have seen the setup with headers, but I know it should work with manifolds. I just thought it would be so cool to have open exhaust whenever I wanted. Has anyone ever done it before?

Thanks

I have cutouts on my 318, also 3" exhaust. Defiantely overkill (the 3") but it will be right when i stick a bigger motor in it. I LOVE the cutouts, luckily where i lived in vegas i didnt cap them for a good 7months of daily driving. Idk about with manifolds though, I ran headers, it might sound pretty bad with manifolds.

P1010003_5-1.jpg

Back in the summer my starter went out and had to be re-placed. Only problem was it would be impossible to to get to the starter becasue thats when I had headers on it. They were in the way. So we cut the headers into pieces becasue I was going to put manifolds on. When we put the new starter and manifolds on there was no pipe connecting the manifolds to the existing exhaust. So the car had to be driven to Midas which installed brand new duel exhaust. I will never forget the sound when it had opened manifolds. The first time it fired up really got my chest thumping. :) I knew it would be loud, but it was louder than I thought. It was insane. I just thought it would be really cool to have cutouts.

It's very cool. However in comparison to headers. In my opinion, headers do sound pretty nasty. manifolds will have a different tune, thats for sure. But hey if you like it, Run it!! they are very cool to have. video from my digital camera doesnt quite do it justice, still kicked a 1.9 60ft at the track with open 3" exhaust and 5,200ft elevation. Little 318 doesnt seem to mind all that much.
th_100_0914.jpg

th_100_0914.jpg

Im sure it would sound better with headers. I would only do it with the manifolds if I could find them cheap. Like $30-40 or so. If it didn't sound good I could always leave them close. Are the power gains any noticable? I also heard fuel economy is slightly increased.

It seems to like being open more than closed which is why i run it that way at the track. Nothing crazy, but just something you'd know after driving it for so long one way and changing it.

Yea...mileage is probably a little better. However, once it's open. Not resisting opening it up every chance you get kinda hinders your mileage :D

-
Back