318 exhaust manifold removal?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
Hi folks im trying to pull the driverside exhaust manifold off.my.71 dart.
I cannot even see the bolts.
What is the best way to go about removing thos sucker?
should I start by pulling the PS?
any tips tricks you care to share?

thanls again.

use a mirror and flashlight, the ones you can't see are under the ports and accessible without removing power steering or master cylinder.

Cool thanks.
I guess theres not really any way to soak them with PB Blaster?

Gonna try and fight these out and fight some long tube in...

Thanks again.

Unbolt the driver's side motor mount and jack the engine up 3 or 4 inches. It'll roll toward the passenger's side and you can almost see what you're doing...

Good idea!
That brings me to another question.

In the headder instal instructions it says to jack up the engine using a floor jack and board on the oil pan.

Is this really a ok method for raising the engine?
I find it hard to believe that the oil pan is able to lift the engine AND tranny withoit caving in
Thanks for all the time and advice.

Good idea!
That brings me to another question.

In the headder instal instructions it says to jack up the engine using a floor jack and board on the oil pan.

Is this really a ok method for raising the engine?
I find it hard to believe that the oil pan is able to lift the engine AND tranny withoit caving in
Thanks for all the time and advice.

Yes, that's exactly how I did mine, didn't phase the oil pan one bit. I used a short piece of 2x4 about 6" long.

YEAH!
Driver side exh manifold is OUT!!!
I truly hope the long tube headdar is easier to install than the manifold was to get out...

Wishful thinking I know...

I ended up pulling both motor mount loose, Jacking the engine up and using a old shovle handle to lever the engine over.
With another set of hands it would have been much easier...

Thanks again!

Consider yourself lucky. This jack up the engine routine is necessary just to change the plugs on a 428 Cobra Jet Mustang...

I truly hope the long tube header is easier to install than the manifold was to get out...

I hope for you too.

A little piece of advice, make sure you are alone, you will be inventing some new words and phrases when doing the driver side. It will more than likely need to go up from underneath too. Passenger side is a cake walk.

Thank you guys!

Im am taking a quick time out and enjoying a high quality adult bevrage right now as a little celebration!

Im expecting a fight on instal and hoping my old girl dont break in half when I try to raise the front 3 feet off the ground..
I guess we be doin a simulated Chevy drag launch ;)

Surprise!

It dont fit...

My boss once told me "Theres no need to fight when you show up swinging a bigger hammer", So thats what Im gonna do..

**** it..

IIRC you have to pull the driverside tie rod and drag link loose on some headers because it passes between the tubes. Changing to a later model ministarter helps some too.

Reckon somebody ought to mention the need for the short filter and/or 90 degree filter adapter on the passenger side???

Thanks.

I got tie rod an drag link off, 90 filter already on.

Its the dang No. 7 tube it hits the PS bolt. Im done fighting it.
In the AM im gonna take the hot wrench and warm/ shape/ collapse the tube..

Headman 78050 long tubes

-
Back