318 Flywheel for a 440???

-

mrtires24

Reaction score
Ok guys, what do you think.

yet again I am asking a question reguarding my 1970 440 4spd duster

I have figured out that the engine I have has a forged crank in it. so I need a flywheel still for this engine. I was talking to a guy from a local shop today and he said why don't I use a 318 flywheel, and just get it machined to work.

the facts are....
the 318 flywheel WILL fit and bolt onto my engine everything lines up ( I tried it as soon as I got home)
the 318 fly wheel IS 130 tooth. and that IS what I need!!
People have modified 318 flywheels for a 360 Befor. SO why not for a 440?

I have talked to a local machine shop too, and they say that it should be able to be done if the engine is internally balance. ( mine is just that)

if I take my 318 flywheel into the shop and get it balanced, I will have a 440 flywheel for a fraction of the cost of buying one new.:)

So my question is.......
What do you guys think? can it be done?

I was looking around on the internet, and found out that the 318 engine is internally balanced. So that meens I should be able to just put the 318 flywheel on my internally balanced 440 with no modifications.

Corect me if I am wrong.

Phil

A 318 flywheel can be used as is on a neutral balance BB as long as you use the correct belhousing that allows a 130 tooth flywheel (10.5" clutch). If you use a 11" bell the stater won't engage because it is too far away from the flywheel.

Chuck

A 318 flywheel can be used as is on a neutral balance BB as long as you use the correct belhousing that allows a 130 tooth flywheel (10.5" clutch). If you use a 11" bell the stater won't engage because it is too far away from the flywheel.

Chuck

Thanks...thats what I wanted to hear.

I am using a 10.5 bell...so all is good :)
:burnout::cheers:

-
Back