318 gurus/historians

-
Teens are utilitarian. THey were used in A bodies, B bodies, even C bodies. E, F,M,and J. Pick ups, trucks, motor homes, and even boats. Almost every one of those had a 2 barrel on top and made enough power and torque to get the job done. Hell, they were even in Police Cars in the M bodies. Like mentioned above, a little basic TLC and you have a great runner. A 4 barrel and a distributor curve and you have a nice runner that can get close to 20 mpg cruising to your next out of town car show, and you can go from there with adding performance. WHen you start with a basic 2 barrel mill, almost anything you do to it will increase the "GO". Oh and it will roll down the interstate at 75 without breathing heavy.

I wouldn't worry about it, his job seems to be finding threads to trash on 318's and UTG if he can squeeze it in :)
To be honest, I love everything old school Mopar. But the 318 is my all time favorite engine, for exactly the reasons I've outlined. A mild cam, a set of closed chamber heads, and they are peppy enough for daily beater duty. I currently have 20 318s, a few 360s, half a dozen 383s, two 400s, three 440s, and a handful of slants.

Where are
To be honest, I love everything old school Mopar. But the 318 is my all time favorite engine, for exactly the reasons I've outlined. A mild cam, a set of closed chamber heads, and they are peppy enough for daily beater duty. I currently have 20 318s, a few 360s, half a dozen 383s, two 400s, three 440s, and a handful of slants.
Where are your 340's?

Sadly, when money was tight several years ago, I sold all 3 of them. A 68, a 72, and a low mileage 73. Haven't had the opportunity to pick any up CHEAP in the past 20 years.
Hope they went to a good home and are being used, as they should be. I had 4 and sold 2 so they can be used. I have one in my car (in the photo) and one for a back up. maybe going to put it in a special vehicle one day, if I don't get too old first. LOL

that's just greedy :poke: :rofl:

so yes Mound Road Engine, 3 miles down the street from Truck Plant.

Sorry, Mound Road engine plant was just across the street from the truck plant...

Mound Road engine plant was at 8 Mile and Mound road south of 8 Mile, and Warren Truck Assembly plant was at 8 Mile and Mound road north of 8 Mile...

Sorry, Mound Road engine plant was just across the street from the truck plant...

Mound Road engine plant was at 8 Mile and Mound road south of 8 Mile, and Warren Truck Assembly plant was at 8 Mile and Mound road north of 8 Mile...
Yes, those plants were closer, like 1/2 to 3/4 mile apart. Was just taking a guess from memory. Ask the mailman: Ex. Address of (21000 Mound Road minus 5000) ÷ 2 = 8,000 = 8 Mile Road and Mound Road, center of intersection. (19000 Mound Road minus 5000) ÷ 2 = 7,000 = 7 Mile Road and Mound Road. Each mile 2000 in address.
Mound Road Engine Plant, 20300 Mound Rd., so about 7.65. Warren Truck Assembly Plant #1, 2452, 21500 Mound Rd. So 8.25 miles, North of Detroit. These are locations of the entrances to the plant, I believe, so theoretically the Plants could extend to a "corner". In fact, WTAP #1 was extended closer to 8 Mile around 1980, with a new paint building, and the engine assembly lines/loops moved to a separate building South of the Main building.

Big unfinished space. Life issues came up, and I haven't gotten lights in the back half, or reliable heat, in it yet. But I'm slowly digging my life out of the pit I've been in.
That size of building probably wasn't cheap either, and a 2 story. You must have one heck of a business to need that much room

That size of building probably wasn't cheap either, and a 2 story. You must have one heck of a business to need that much room
Or a 40 year collection of Mopars and Mopar parts. When I bought the place, there was a 25 by 30 two story shop here already. I built on. Actually, did most of it myself before local building codes got too rough. Main posts are used utility poles, buried 4 foot in the ground and cemented in. The rest of the framing is all rough cut lumber from a local sawmill, with the exception of the roof trusses. Outside is tan painted roofing type tin in a non standard width that I was able to buy for a discount. Inside is thermocore garage door panels that were dented, but were free for the hauling and are white painted steel with 2 inches of foam insulation. All together, I have around 23 grand in the building, including crane setting of the trusses, six inches of reinforced concrete on the floor, the whole bit.

Last edited:
Or a 40 year collection of Mopars and Mopar parts. When I bought the place, there was a 25 by 30 two story shop here already. I built on. Actually, did most of it myself before local building codes got too rough. Main posts are used utility poles, buried 4 foot in the ground and cemented in. The rest of the framing is all rough cut lumber from a local sawmill, with the exception of the roof trusses. Outside is tan painted roofing type tin in a non standard width that I was able to buy for a discount. Inside is thermocore garage door panels that were dented, but were free for the hauling and are white painted steel with 2 inches of foam insulation. All together, I have around 23 grand in the building, including crane setting of the trusses, six inches of reinforced concrete on the floor, the whole bit.
That's a awesome price.

You can collect a lot of cool stuff in 40 years

You can collect a lot of cool stuff in 40 years
And a lot of things that are too good to junk, but not worth much. I was taught to not waste anything. But it has gotten to the point where I simply have far too much stuff. Therefore, it is not at all uncommon for me to give stuff away for free to people who show up here and actually have a need for it. I'm talking common things. A stupid starter or alternator, for example. I probably have 50 of each on the shelves. Just take it along, I'll catch you next time. Done that for years, but I never seem to run out of stuff, lol

what goes around, comes around. you'll reap the rewards of all that kindness sooner or later :thumbsup:
neil.
I already have. Over the years, there have been times when a box of parts or something similar just shows up. Sometimes years later I still haven't learned where they come from. Generally, when the random things show up without my knowledge, I will wait a few months to see if someone comes back to inquire about blasting, welding, painting, or whatever. After 3 months I just assume it was a donation, lol. Other times, I will be somewhere and just luck into a deal that only a fool would pass on, like the NOS door handle at a yard sale for a dollar. And because Mopar karma has been kind to me over the years, I don't hesitate to pay it forward from time to time.

-
Back