318 issues

-

SirDan

Reaction score
73 318 engine no modifications.

first issue, its hard to start. it will like start then turn off then crank for a bit then start for a second then turn off and do that 3 or 4 times then it fires up and runs fine (asside from issue number 2). the only time it doesent do this is if i restart it after it was just running.

2nd issue, i was driving ran the car up to about 2500 rpm then it just cut out, i thought it died so i threw it in nuetral and pulled over and it was still running.
the next day i got on it hard and ran it up to around the same rpm and it cut out but then i feathered the throttle a bit and it came back but then i let off the gas a bit.

3rd issue, if i mash the gas from a stop it will pop once out the carb then go like hell.

once again the engine is a 73 318

its got new:
plugs
plugwires
cap and rotor
fuel pump
fuel filter
rebuilt carburator

i think i have the timing set to 10btdc

not sure where to start any ideas are appreciated.

Is it a 2 bbl or 4? What mods have been done?Where is the timing set at?

Work on confirming the choke is functioning correctly. Needs ato be almost completely closed when cold. There should be a small gap inbetween the edge of the choke plate and horn.Choke should open up some soon after it fires up.

Im guessing your bimetal spring isnt pulling the choke open or the gap isnt set correctly.

sorry it took so long to post. anyway its a 2 barrel whatever the stock 73 one is. The choke is functioning as it should. ive been told its possible the ballast resistor is going bad.

ballast's go out at once from my experience.

make sure the xcellerator pump works right, some people can drive without it working properly on the lil 2 brls with all the air speed going through'em.

if you pump the pedal when it's cold will it fire easier?

use coat hanger wire to pin open the choke as to 'for sure' rule that out.

the ignition box could also be doing weird things, so after checking the other stuff, check there.

Issue #1 - Sounds like fuel is evaporating from the carburetor fuel bowl. I would pursue this especially if the hard starting is only first thing in the morning or after the car has been sitting a few hours.

Once fuel bowl is full, it will start and run OK. If running errands during the day there usually isn't enough time for the bowl to dry out.

I read that you have a rebuilt carb. You didn't say who did the work. There are situations that a lot of us have experienced with work done by big box parts stores. It seems odd to have to re-build a rebuilt carburetor, but it happens a lot. Don't believe me? Just do searches for carburetor rebuild. In my case, I rebuilt a Holley rebuild because it was jetted wrong.

Issue #2 - Check fuel hose. Bends are especially susceptible to collapse. The smaller the hose turn radius, the more likely it is to collapse.

Issue #3 - Check timing. You have a spark plug firing through an open intake valve into a mixture made extra rich by the accelerator pump. Also check to see that the dizzy cap is seated properly and all wire connections are snug.

Actualy i rebuilt the carb. which i could have f'd something up thats entirely possible. but it was working good for about a week then got hard to start and started cutting out on me. which by the way has happened 3 times and all around the same rpm.

now its getting hard to start even hot. that could be because i screwed the screws on the front of the carb in a bit but im not sure, i think im going to check that out today. but turning the screws in got rid of the popping out the carb.

fuel could be evaporating from the bowl. in fact it probaly is since the vent tube broke off but its been like that even when it was running correctly. but yes im going to get that fixed.

I think the accelerator pump works. when you floor the carb it squirts a nice steady stream out, which i assume its supposed to do.

I think the accelerator pump works. when you floor the carb it squirts a nice steady stream out, which i assume its supposed to do.

No doubt about it. Your accelerator pump works!

If this is your first carb rebuild and the car runs, you're ahead of me on my first try. Stay after it.

how did you check the timing?

did you disconnect and plug the vac advance hose to the carb?

Good question.

Lets verify something. Check the vacuum port to the dist. Does it give suction at idle? It should not. Should be "ported" or give vacuum at part throttle.

Double check and verify no vacuum leaks.

Get your timing light out and tell us what you find.

i plugged the line when i timed it.

i think i figured out what the problem is for the starting. i was thinking it was the starter but then i forgot about that thought. then i went to drive my dad to the pizza place to get dinner and it wouldent start, and hes like it sounds like the gear keeps disengaging on the starter. so im guna try a starter swap. my dad said he has one or two of the newer style ones so it wont cost me anything either! he knows cars better than i do and ive never had a starter go or act up on me ever so i dident know what its like. ill report back after i swap it and say if it fixed it or not. still dont know whats up with the random cutting out but one thing at a time.

also about the carb rebuild, ive rebuilt and fixed a decent amount of lawnmower carbs before i did this rebuild. even tho it was my first car carburetor rebuild its rather similar. minus the accelerator pump.

Nippon denso starter has more torque than the factory one,so it's an upgrade! Also smaller,lighter,rebuildable....

Good news! it was the starter! we had a spare used one laying around so i just threw that one in. starts good now, i wont have to be embarassed at school anymore when my car wont start!

no its an older style. but it definatly doesent sound the same as the starter i had in it. maybe because this one isent shot. XD. it was a real easy install so if it goes ill buy i new one. i just really dident want to spend 100 dollars on the better starter when my father had a starter that i could have for free.

It's really amazing on how wise fathers can be! The older I get the smarter my dad seems to be:-D

So what about the other issues? They cant be related to the starter...:walk:

-
Back