318 magnum in a 65 cuda

-

Rick Wellman

Reaction score
hey guys. I have a 65 cuda that I put a 318 magnum in. What oil pan do I need to clear the center link.

Do you have the V8 centerlink which has a drop of about 2 inches. I would think pretty much any LA pan should clear the centerlink. If that’s incorrect, someone will be sure to clarify it.

You will need an oil pan for a 360 LA small block. All Magnum motors, both the 5.2 and 5.9 use a 360 pan. Chrysler standardized the rear main cap to make it common the both motors. If your Barracuda had a V8 in it from the factory, you should have the correct centerlink. Go to the Magnum swap section to search how to get an LA pan to seal up on a Magnum motor.

Yes, I’ve got the v8 center link. It wasn’t in it to begin with, but I changed it when I went from /6 to 318 mag. Thanks for the info guys . Big help

Since you’re dealing with 65 steering linkages, you might want to try and find a 65/66 273 oil pan. Those oil pans are heavily factory dimpled on both sides to clear portions of the steering where the inner tie rods end up at the oil pan on hard left/right turns. Of course a ball peen hammer will pretty much do the same thing the factory did. I have no idea whether this oil pan can be mated to a Magnum motor or not.

I had a 273 pan but it would not fit due to the difference in the rear main size. Thanks for your reply .

Um, forget about the rear main difference in the Magnum!

-
Back