318 magnum not idling

-

TheTecher

Evan the jeeper.
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 96 jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 Magnum. Saturday it stalled on me twice at a red light and tonight it would not idle at all after I drove back from class. The Jeep has 197k miles on it and Ive never had a problem with it before. Im thinking what something is getting wet that shouldnt be(Its raining tonight) or I have a vacuum problem. Ive heard of cleaning the IAC and I will try that if I can get to the store and pick up some carb cleaner.

Take the Tbody off and clean it completely, take the IAC out and clean it too.. They can get gummed up pretty bad. You will need a new gasket, so get one of those before you get started on the cleaning.

Hey all, I have a 96 jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 Magnum. Saturday it stalled on me twice at a red light and tonight it would not idle at all after I drove back from class. The Jeep has 197k miles on it and Ive never had a problem with it before. Im thinking what something is getting wet that shouldnt be(Its raining tonight) or I have a vacuum problem. Ive heard of cleaning the IAC and I will try that if I can get to the store and pick up some carb cleaner.

One other thing you might want to check is the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and make sure there is no oil in the intake area where the throttle body is as well.

Thanks guys, I cleaned the IAC today and it solved my problem. This weekend I may take off the TB and clean it too.

-
Back