318 Main bearing part numbers versus year application

-

iScamp

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying some NOS main bearings for a '75 318. The part number listed for sale is 4397777. The listing indicates for a '60-'69 318. Could those bearings be used in the '75 engine?

Why NOS? Clevite MS1344P are tri-metal bearings just like the originals and readily available. Also I think there was a change in 74 when the 340 went away. Not sure what actually changed however. MS540P are listed for the earlier engines. Clevite was an OEM supplier

Isn't the difference in the thrust bearing - different sized registers in the block/cap on early vs later engines?

Yeah something changed around 73/74ish on those I don't remember what/ I know cranks between those years are interchangeable it's something in the block that's different. I think it's the location of the lock tab in the bearing shell.

Why NOS? Clevite MS1344P are tri-metal bearings just like the originals and readily available. Also I think there was a change in 74 when the 340 went away. Not sure what actually changed however. MS540P are listed for the earlier engines. Clevite was an OEM supplier
Thank you all for your replies.
C130 Chief, I don't trust modern aftermarket automotive parts.

Get your numbers and check out ebay, lots of new but old parts on there.

I trust customer service at Mancini or Summit to make things right far more than a potentially defective part that has been gatherings dust for 50 years. I've been burned, by parts that were set aside and not used for a reason, and then nobody remembered the reason why they weren't used back in the day.

Ive bought lots n lots of new but ancient parts and for the most part I have had less trouble than i have had buying new, recent stock parts. Especially electrical ones.

On something like a set of engine bearings (I did get a defective set of them one time, price was low enough I wasn't worried about it) but I saw the issue as soon as I unboxed them. I went back to ebay and ordered another set, had em in a few days and even having had to buy a 2nd set of (I forget whether they were rods or mains) I was into both sets for less than 1/2 of what napa wanted for 1 set. These were for a /6 I put together last year
They had a coating that was peeling/ flaking off. They may have been just fine but in the overall cost of a complete overhaul these days the cost was minor.... especially for the piece of mind factor....
I try all I can to avoid chinesium, there are many parts I even go get at a boneyard, that 10 years ago I wouldn't think of replacing with used/ but good used original , or have been replaced but some years ago, seem to last as long as some new parts currently available.
Now on something like internal engine parts there's no way I'd put used parts back in on parts typically replaced on a rebuild.

I'm looking at buying some NOS main bearings for a '75 318. The part number listed for sale is 4397777. The listing indicates for a '60-'69 318. Could those bearings be used in the '75 engine?
Yes. If it were the other way around, no.

Thrust bearing size is different.

Engine Tech has some great prices on bearings and rings for Builder type engines...you know... non record setting drag race...even then who'sto say.

Engine Tech has some great prices on bearings and rings for Builder type engines...you know... non record setting drag race...even then who'sto say.
Most of the enginetec bearings are made by king, so the quality is pretty good, especially for the price

-
Back