318 - New/Old or Hybrid?

-

mprhoodlum

Inmate
Reaction score
I want to get some input into my 68 Barracuda 318 engine build. I bought the car recently (6 wks. ago) and found it has a hole in no. 8 cyl into water jacket. It was bored 0.30 over approx. 15k miles ago. It is equipped w/ Edel. 600cfm carb, performer manifold, stock exh. manifolds, and 1 3/4" dual exhausts.

I opted not to sleeve. Two hundred dollars to sleeve or a 2001 5.2 magnum for $400. I bought the magnum. It came complete w/ wiring harness, alt, ps, AC and PCM. I have the magnum exh. manifolds and new set of Dynamax headers.

Now, I have the best of both worlds? I have the expertise to install the fuel inj. but know it's going to be time consuming. Also, there are a lot of unknowns that I will have to deal with. Sensors and installation, accelerator and kickdown cables, fuel system upgrades, fan and belt, pulleys, etc.

I'm considering old heads/new block, new block and heads w/ air gap manifold, new engine/old pulley system, etc.
Lots of possibilities! I'm anxious to drive the car!

I have been watching the Dart/5.9 magnum installation. I still have a lot of questions. Plus, he has the orig. donor vehicle for those unthought of parts.

Any suggestions? Or advice, that also is welcomed!

Jim

its not that bad, you'll need an LA 360 oil pan and pickup for the pump, your old engine mounts will work, wiring isn't bad just take your time, it bolts right to any older transmission

fuel pump can be inline or intank one

-
Back