318 oil leak

-
Thanks for the help everyone. I have everything disassembled and there was no slinger in there. I ordered one and will wait for it to arrive before I reassemble everything.

A couple of FYI’s for you.
There are 5 good ways to get lubrication to the timing chain.
1. The round oil slinger.
2. The drip tab mounted under one of the cam plate bolts.
3. A hole drilled through the passenger side cam plate bolt.
4. An orifice hole drilled through one of the oil galley plugs under the cam plate.
5. A drainage hole drilled from the floor of the lifter valley through to the back side of the top cam sprocket.

Numbers 1&2 can both be employed with zero drilling or modifications to the block and use common inexpensive easy to get parts.
Those 2 together will supply the chain and sprockets with plenty of lube.

Something to also know is some are experiencing abnormal rubber slide disintegration on the chain tensioners.

If you go the route of using a cam plate bolt with a hole through it you may want to buy one.
The OE bolts are hardened to the point of requiring carbide drill bits.

I didn't look last night (because I didn't know about it). I took a pic but cannot see if it does. I'm stuck at this place called work and will check it out tonight. From my pic there are only 3 bolts and the top left does not look like it does. I read that is a weep hole for oil, some have some do not. Opinion on if I should or not. I can easily chuck it up in lathe and drill one if needed.

I sent this before I saw TrailBeast's post. Thank you for the info
IMG_8198.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for their advice and guidance. I replaced the timing set to a double roller set, added a tensioner, new seal and new balancer. Also removed the oil pan to ensure the seal and balancer were centered as advised. Got everything put back together and drove it about 50 miles and no sign of any leaks. Thanks again for all the help.

-
Back