318 Oil pan Gasket Replacement

-

darc1722

Reaction score
I'm replacing a bad oil pan gasket on my 318. I have the engine out as I'm also doing some clean up in the engine bay. I have a new chrome oil pan that I got in a trade and I'm looking for the best way to install the new gasket. The pan doesn't have the pin holes on the front like the old one and I have the new correct gasket set. The question I have is should I use some kind of gasket maker when installing the new one? Should I put a little on the block and pan before I set the gasket and torque the bolts? Looking for some help to prevent leaking as I don't want to go through this again, thanks.

I would use weatherstrip sealer (yell0w stuff)3m 8001) on the pan side and some aviation form a gasket on the block side of the gasket - I've done this for years and it works well

I haven't used the front/ rear rubbers since RTV / silicone became available. Just give 'em a toss. Lay a nice big bead of RTV all the way across the front/ rear just before you are ready to drop the pan on.

I use "hi tack" on the side rails.

When the pan is on and tight---and don't overtighten--, take a towel/ your finger, and form the RTV into a nice bead.

Let it dry - a couple of days if possible.

I use the same deal on the front/ rear of the intake. No gaskets, just RTV

I use Felpro cork/rubber oil pan gasket set. I use the black 3M weather strip sealer on the block side and glue the rail gaskets to the block and let dry. If you get like a '85 Dodge 318 oil pan gasket it will have the curved end pieces that work without the holes in the pan for the end pieces. I had to use that gasket set for my Kevko pan because it did not have the holes for the end pieces. And use gasket sealer in the four corners where the gaskets meet. I lilke to use fresh paper towels and brake parts cleaner to get all surfaces 100% free of oil. These engines don't leak a drop when put together correctly.

I haven't used the front/ rear rubbers since RTV / silicone became available. Just give 'em a toss. Lay a nice big bead of RTV all the way across the front/ rear just before you are ready to drop the pan on.

I use "hi tack" on the side rails.

When the pan is on and tight---and don't overtighten--, take a towel/ your finger, and form the RTV into a nice bead.

Let it dry - a couple of days if possible.

I use the same deal on the front/ rear of the intake. No gaskets, just RTV

Yeah I don't use the end gaskets on my intake either. I would imagine that would work good on the oil pan provided you put the right amount of sealer on there and are real careful.

-
Back