318 Overheating...Help!!

-
Well after running around Vegas looking for a Mr. Gasket hi flow 160 thermostat... Ill have to get it from Summit... stupid Vegas. So Ill let you guys know what the result is once I get it.

Thanks guys!

Well mac daddy... I think you nailed it. I put in the 160 thermostat and it stays at 190. So I think my problem is solved. Thanks again!

Damn Mr. Gasket thermostat! NEVER OPENED AGAIN! Goin back to autozone cheap kind...at least those open. But i'm also putting in a hi flow water pump tomorrow. I also did a vinegar system flush. I'll Keep u posted.

yeah the auto zone ones are cheap, but also fail safe, if they go bad they stay open, good luck and let us know.

I had the same problem you're having.

It's the water pump pulley. I changed mine and the problem went away even though I have a worn out clutch fan.

Here's the size comparison:

IMG_1166.jpg

I found my pulley at a swap meet. Bouchillon performance might have one though.

My plan is to switch to a good electric fan and hope that allows me to use the bigger pulley. Factory Underdrives = Cool. LOL

FYI: I wouldn't run a 160* thermostat. You're in Vegas so your mileage may vary. But I've seen people run into problems because the motor never gets hot enough to atomize the fuel properly. People definitely get to chasing their tails trying to figure that out.

Got it! Flowkooler hi flow water pump + distiller water+ justice brothers radiator cooler and treatment = me happy! It's running at 170 and barely got over it at a stop. WOOO HOOO! oh and a drilled a couple little holes in the thermostat.... Just to let air out. Thanks guys! Oh lxguy... I'm getting a new pulley too... But just cuz it shinny and aluminum :)

I had a friend of mine with a 73 Dodge camper van (also a 318) that had an overheat problem; one day it started seeping out a freeze plug. so I popped that one out (above the starter) and the block was FULL of scale! I popped out what other freeze plugs I could w/the eng in the van and took a nozzle on a garden hose and flushed the crap out of it, overheat solved; BTW; I definitely would not call 210 "overheating";
something else; I have had engines seem to "get hotter" just by changing the temp sending unit.

On my 78 Fury, also a 318,(47K orig miles, I'm the 2nd owner) I changed the waterpump right at 40K; (thought I had a bearing squaling, wound up being the alternator) but I took out an 8 vane waterpump parts store sold me a 6 vane unit saying the 6 vane had more room for fluid, the extra 2 vanes were an "impediment" to flow; Bullcrap; Just that change alone and my engine rus a notch hotter ("1/2 gauge" used to be 1/3 gauge full hot) than it ever used to. I'll take the vane one next time, thanks.

Hi guys... Im actually running about 70/30 coolant and it actually used to run at 190 without a shroud not too long ago.

This could be your problem. with 70% antifreeze, there is very poor heat transfer. Pure water offers excellent heat transfer, but is freezes and rusts. Anitfreeze offers freeze protection as well as corrosion protection. The drawback is poor heat transfer.

For your location, you probably only need freeze protection down to zero degrees. That is about 33% antifreeze, 67% water. Even for severe cold climates, 60% antifreeze is the most you should run.

At 70% antifreeze you are unable to transfer heat from the coolant to the air unless you have a HUGE radiator. check out this website for mixtures needed for freeze protection levels:

http://illuminations.nctm.org/lessons/PercentConcentrations/Antifreeze-AS-DontFreeze.pdf

Switching your coolant probably had the most effect on cooling down the engine.

-
Back