318 Piston options

-

scott2683

Reaction score
I have a 71 duster with a factory 318. We tore the engine down and decided it would be in my best interest to go ahead and bore the engine since the cylinder walls looked wore out.

I intend to have it bored .30 over and I was wondering what pistons you guys would recommend. I'm building on a budget and the engine is for street use. I am wanting something that will increase my compression but not cost an arm and a leg.

I appreciate your guys help!

Probably be cheaper to put 1.741 compression height stock replacement pistons in it with either 302 or Magnum heads.

I've already purchased heads for the car. I just hadn't intended on boring it.

KB has a flat top that will bring the compression up. KB-167-30

What Stroker is saying is that the 302 head is a closed chamber head and will raise the compression of a stock piston, it's cheaper and more effective than spending 400 bucks on just pistons, words of wisdom. You can get a whole rebuild kit from summit including pistons for what a set of kb's or something comparable will cost. What heads do you have for it, if they are open chamber than the kb's are the way to go.

They your cheapest choice if you stay with open chamber heads is the KB167. Just like efriedrich said. Tween 400-500 bucks.

Thanks for the advice guys, The heads that I have are some reman heads from aerohead racing. Not sure of the casting numbers on them off the top of my head. They do have 1.88/1.60 valves

Sounds like you got 360 heads gonna need the KB's to get 9:1 CR with the thinnest gasket.

Thanks guys, i remember when i decoded the casting numbers it said they were used on 318 4 bbl police cars. So i imagine they are 360 heads. I was hoping to avoid having to buy kb piston, but in the end i think it will be worth it.

The last 318 i built with the areo 360 heads i used the kb-167 pistons, It ran strong but i had it zero-decked to, That was 4 years ago the kb-167 pistons cost 229 then,Just did a search can't belive that the price is 389 now wow,thats crazy,

I know! I was a little floored myself when i saw $389. Thanks strokerscamp. That's a hell of a better price than i have found

Sounds great, I'll send you a PM and get that process started! I appreciate your help!

Way to go! I always like supporting vendors....specially when they're cool as Mike. Good job.

-
Back