318 Poly A engine in a 67 Cuda

-
You can buy a Ritter block for less than 4k.

Comparing an R block to a poly block is silly.
Thank's for your unsolicited negative as usual opinion. The ritter is 3450 before you do anything including shipping. The guy suggested maybe use the poly block for a high hp street block. And he is correct. I only compared the 250 poly cost to the 4000 PLUS R block. Everything else I compared to La engines. Stop going into conversations with such negative outlooks. If you don't know how to stuff a poly in a 67 A body and arent helping with the poly build.

What is your point?

Thank's for your unsolicited negative as usual opinion. The ritter is 3450 before you do anything including shipping. The guy suggested maybe use the poly block for a high hp street block. And he is correct. I only compared the 250 poly cost to the 4000 PLUS R block. Everything else I compared to La engines. Stop going into conversations with such negative outlooks. If you don't know how to stuff a poly in a 67 A body and arent helping with the poly build.

What is your point?

How are the FACTS negative? Sorry if the facts hurt your feelings.

My point? My point was and is why are you comparing a 4k R block to a production, passenger car Poly block. Are you inferring that the Poly block is comparable to an R block? Or even an X block? That’s what it sounds like.

I don’t care what you stick a Poly in. Just dont compare a race part to production junk.

Thank you. Great looking engine. I don't have room in my cuda for the exhaust adapters. I'll likely cut the headers at the flange on the correct angle to reweld to poly flanges. That's my thought at the moment.
Yes, that is certainly another avenue to consider. The only reason I didn't take that route was that I still would have had to make Poly header flanges.

This is where mine is today in my 65 D100 Utiline.

CIMG1165 (2).JPG

How are the FACTS negative? Sorry if the facts hurt your feelings.

My point? My point was and is why are you comparing a 4k R block to a production, passenger car Poly block. Are you inferring that the Poly block is comparable to an R block? Or even an X block? That’s what it sounds like.

I don’t care what you stick a Poly in. Just dont compare a race part to production junk.
Dmopower said "The R blocks are heavier yet and 4000$. The Poly heads are 10 pounds heavier each bare and the block is 23 pounds heavier than an La before it's bored to 4". The main webs are more solid not hollowed on one side and you can beef the bottom end up to hold 750 hp safe that the La can't take."

So if you can read comprehensively, you can see the very first line where I compared the poly cost to the r block cost. "The R blocks are heavier yet and 4000$." SEE????

If you look at the second line you can easily comprehend that I compared the poly block to the LA block. Dmopower said "The Poly heads are 10 pounds heavier each bare and the block is 23 pounds heavier than an La before it's bored to 4". The main webs are more solid not hollowed on one side and you can beef the bottom end up to hold 750 hp safe that the La can't take." Did you see where LA is typed TWICE?

I'm not mad because you know facts. I'm annoyed because you have reading comprehension issues and get negative when in reality you have NO idea what was actually said.

Ratty said "My point? My point was and is why are you comparing a 4k R block to a production, passenger car Poly block. Are you inferring that the Poly block is comparable to an R block? Or even an X block? That’s what it sounds like."

In what world did I attempt to say the poly block is comparable to an R block? That's insane and insulting. I'm comparing the cost of the R block to the cost of the Poly because anyone who knows anything does costs analysis. I can't believe you used inferring to make your point. How embarrassing. Your inference is your guess and you been wrong about everything since you began typing.

Now I let it go that you called me silly and the moderators had zero issues with it or have not seen that yet. You literally called me silly for something I DID NOT SAY

Please move on.

Dmopower said "The R blocks are heavier yet and 4000$. The Poly heads are 10 pounds heavier each bare and the block is 23 pounds heavier than an La before it's bored to 4". The main webs are more solid not hollowed on one side and you can beef the bottom end up to hold 750 hp safe that the La can't take."

So if you can read comprehensively, you can see the very first line where I compared the poly cost to the r block cost. "The R blocks are heavier yet and 4000$." SEE????

If you look at the second line you can easily comprehend that I compared the poly block to the LA block. Dmopower said "The Poly heads are 10 pounds heavier each bare and the block is 23 pounds heavier than an La before it's bored to 4". The main webs are more solid not hollowed on one side and you can beef the bottom end up to hold 750 hp safe that the La can't take." Did you see where LA is typed TWICE?

I'm not mad because you know facts. I'm annoyed because you have reading comprehension issues and get negative when in reality you have NO idea what was actually said.

Ratty said "My point? My point was and is why are you comparing a 4k R block to a production, passenger car Poly block. Are you inferring that the Poly block is comparable to an R block? Or even an X block? That’s what it sounds like."

In what world did I attempt to say the poly block is comparable to an R block? That's insane and insulting. I'm comparing the cost of the R block to the cost of the Poly because anyone who knows anything does costs analysis. I can't believe you used inferring to make your point. How embarrassing. Your inference is your guess and you been wrong about everything since you began typing.

Now I let it go that you called me silly and the moderators had zero issues with it or have not seen that yet. You literally called me silly for something I DID NOT SAY

Please move on.

I read exactly what you said. You compared a poly block to an R block and the cost.

Thats all I need to see. I have no issues with comprehension. I have issues with guys making **** up.

To compare ANY production block to ANY race block by ANY metric is just plain ridiculous.

Later dude.

I was under the impression that performance parts for Polys were harder to find and a lot more expensive. Am I wrong?
Well it cuts both ways I'm finding out. most bottom end stuff from 318 340 la engines fit. The intake and exhaust manifolds or headers are the issue. Chrysler Power makes a killer manifold but it's pricey and a waiting game. Also worth the wait from what I see and read. The heads need porting and this is where the price comes in but getting them ported and having your rocker gear reconditioned is, can be cheaper than buying good aluminum LA heads and the exhaust side will out flow most La heads ported by the right guy. Cams can be made to order or there are vendors that have profiles in stock.

Motor mounts are the same as an LA 318. Distributor, timing chain is all La stuff.

Last edited:
Have a look at this website, very good information and dispels a few myths about weight and width.
Poly 318 and A-block History and Myths - Poly318.com
Yes that was a very good read. I have done a ton of research on these but all of it has been done through written intel. I'll make a trip and pick up my poly as soon as it's above 30 again. It will be nice to put my hands and eyes on one in person.

Yup. One myth is the weight. The heads are def heavier but not hemi heavy and the block is heavier but in all the right places. I wouldn't compare it to a ritter block because I have talked to Ken and I understand the differences the R block presents in detail. But it's way more stout than an La block and it will allow me to run a torque storm without issue. Every machine shop I talked to would not commit to an La block holding 700 dependably. Or even 600.

Just for reference, the cores for the Poly and the LA are the same. That’s why the lifter bank angles are so jacked up on the LA. It’s a Poly core.

The only thing lighter on the LA blocks is the cylinders. They are generally thinner.

Whatever power a poly will take an LA will take.

Not many production blocks will take 700 hp unless you believe in Santa Claus.

Just for reference, the cores for the Poly and the LA are the same. That’s why the lifter bank angles are so jacked up on the LA. It’s a Poly core.

The only thing lighter on the LA blocks is the cylinders. They are generally thinner.

Whatever power a poly will take an LA will take.

Not many production blocks will take 700 hp unless you believe in Santa Claus.
Have you ever looked at a poly 318 block? The Chrysler and Dodge poly Motors were built off of the early Hemi cores. The Plymouth was its own block. As for your rude comments about Santa Claus please keep them to yourself there are still Believers out there.

Have you ever looked at a poly 318 block? The Chrysler and Dodge poly Motors were built off of the early Hemi cores. The Plymouth was its own block. As for your rude comments about Santa Claus please keep them to yourself there are still Believers out there.

Looked at many Poly blocks and built several. I’m not impressed and the blocks aren’t any stronger than an LA block.

Double check the lifter bank angles and lifter placement again. The LA used Poly cores.

I’m not surprised you believe in Santa Claus. It’s a weakness.

Looked at many Poly blocks and built several. I’m not impressed and the blocks aren’t any stronger than an LA block.

Double check the lifter bank angles and lifter placement again. The LA used Poly cores.

I’m not surprised you believe in Santa Claus. It’s a weakness.
You don't believe in Santi ? Too much coal in your stocking? lol
Who drinks the milk and eats the chocolate chips I set by the fireplace then? I always thought it was Santi, maybe it was the wife all along.
She does seem to put on weight over the holidays. lol

You don't believe in Santi ? Too much coal in your stocking? lol
Who drinks the milk and eats the chocolate chips I set by the fireplace then? I always thought it was Santi, maybe it was the wife all along.
She does seem to put on weight over the holidays. lol

Around here the dogs eat all of Santa’s cookies. The dogs do NOT share much.

Where did you find that intake manifold to bolt that supercharger to?

The Intake was an original Weiand #7503 (single four). Mine was (I believe) one of their early prototypes or at best an early production manifold. I say this because the casting was/is minus any of the Weiand logos that they used on the production manifolds. The surface finish is also not quite the same. There is a 7503 number hand stamped into the underside of the runners. The flanges are also a different thickness. All in all it was not in the greatest shape but it was perfect for modifying to accept the Magnuson which I did. I picked up the Magnuson 10-12 years ago off of Craigslist and it was still in the shipping box / bag.

The Intake was an original Weiand #7503 (single four). Mine was (I believe) one of their early prototypes or at best an early production manifold. I say this because the casting was/is minus any of the Weiand logos that they used on the production manifolds. The surface finish is also not quite the same. There is a 7503 number hand stamped into the underside of the runners. The flanges are also a different thickness. All in all it was not in the greatest shape but it was perfect for modifying to accept the Magnuson which I did. I picked up the Magnuson 10-12 years ago off of Craigslist and it was still in the shipping box / bag.
Awesome. Great ride.

OMG Santa isn't real?

I thought it was proved in Miracle on 34th Street that he is...

If Dickie Attenborough says he is, then he is...

x720.jpg

71 gtx ertl.jpg

So the 62-66 B is 2" wider at the torsion bar mount Than a 67 A body. Can anyone running Tti headers on a 62 to 66 B body poly tell me how much room there is from the headers to the torsion bars? Is there 1" or more?

-
Back