318 Question

-

68FBCuda

Reaction score
I just bought a 68 Barracuda Fast Back. It has a none stock 318. I wanna put a little pep in its step. It has a 2 Bbl carb on it. I was thinking of putting a new intake, 4bbl carb, mild cam, air cleaner and headers. It's mainly going to just be a cruiser for the family to go to car meets. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

If it were mine, I use a Comp 262 cam, eddy airgap intake, and an eddy 600 carb.

I would put a weiand stelth intake, 625 street demon carb, small comp cam depending on the gears and headers and run it.
This would wake it up and still cruise nice.

It made a pretty big difference in the way mine ran and it was bone stock with a 2 barrel also.
It was a recent fresh motor when I got it but all stock.
1 5/8 long tube headers, 2.5 dual exhaust, Eddie 1406 and performer dual plane made a nice difference and a decent cam would just make it better.

I usually don't recommend performance "packages", but IMO, your car would be absolutely perfect for the Edelbrock Performer package. The Carb, Intake and cam kit. I think that would make for a very nice running 318.

I usually don't recommend performance "packages", but IMO, your car would be absolutely perfect for the Edelbrock Performer package. The Carb, Intake and cam kit. I think that would make for a very nice running 318.

Good recommendation right here. I'd say a different cam though like the comp 262.

The performer intake matches the stock ports in the 318 heads probably better than the others,
I know I've said this a dozen times but theres a stock 318 long block (low CR) build up thats basically your combo with the comp 262 cam and dynos 282 hp even if thats inflated still at least a 250 hp engine, not bad for a weekends work.

The performer intake matches the stock ports in the 318 heads probably better than the others,
I know I've said this a dozen times but theres a stock 318 long block (low CR) build up thats basically your combo with the comp 262 cam and dynos 282 hp even if thats inflated still at least a 250 hp engine, not bad for a weekends work.

The performer does not match the 318 ports it is larger although it is a good manifold.

The best match is a Weiand stealth or Eldebrock LD4B.

The performer does not match the 318 ports it is larger although it is a good manifold.

The best match is a Weiand stealth or Eldebrock LD4B.

The performer ports are in between 340/360 and 273/318 where mosts other intakes are 340/360 size.

The LD4B and Weiand Stelth are 318 port size.

X2. Add dual exhausts with Dynamax Ultra Flo mufflers. No sense having the recently reinforced teen sound wimpy.

It really doesn't matter too much on the intake as long as its a dual plane and it's rpm range starts "off idle". I personally bought the weiand action plus and I love it. Low end is a monster, breaking the tires loose from a 5 mph roll is easy. I have a 600 cfm eddy, but I had a Holley street avenger and both carbs work great! My suggestion for the cam is a 340 cam with full advance timing set at 38-40 degrees. One thing to consider is the headers. They help the high rpm performance, but for street driving I like manifolds on a 318 with dual exhaust. Headers kill bottom end torque, especially with a stock converter and highway gears. Be sure the heat choke in the one manifold isn't stuck shut! 340 manifolds work so well on a 318 with the 340 cam.
Last recommendation, be sure your 318 is performing like it should before you start. Are those "leaded" valves seen their better days? My 318 2bbl bone stock in a b-body ran 15.90's at 84 mph to give you an idea. Good luck

-
Back