318 rebuild

-

bill detamore

Reaction score
I have a question for you guys.

I have a 318 that will need to be rebuilt sometime in my fufutre. My question is this. I just had a manifold, carb and ignition just a few weeks ago. The car came with headers and exhaust.

I would like to chip away at what I will need for parts. Pistons etc. Can you guys point me in a direction on this. I was also thinking of a small cam.

My car is a weekender and I want it to be reliable and fun. Not concerned with speed. Just fun to drive.

I would also like to get an idea of what it would run to get the motor rebuilt if I supply the parts. What will a guy charge to do this?

Any thoughts?

Just pretend it's a 340 and build it to the same specs with one exception. 9.5:1 compression so it can run on pump gas. It'll set your eyeballs back in your head. You close to Georgia? You buy the parts and machine work and I'll assemble it for 100 dollar bill and give you a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty against defects in workmanship.

I wish I was near you but I am in California.

I understand what you mean by build it like a 340 but what I need help on is parts. There are so many thing out there to choose from it get mind numbing.

Example, what pistons and rods. What cam. Should I change the rockers etc. Do Need new heads or am I good with the ones I have. If i keep my heads do I have them worked on or are they fine the way they are. As I said, just a weekend cruiser with a bit of attitude so I can relive my youth a bit.

B

Thanks again.

Pistons are cheap. Go for the KB or other brand of hypers.
Stock rods are just fine but new ones are so cheap most guys just get new. Rebuilt rods can be had at PAW.

What heads do you have? Maybe some bowl work and a good valve job would be enough for you. If you can afford new heads get some eddies. Something bolt on sounds right for you.

If it's just a weekend cruiser,stay under 230 ish duration.

KB 167 pistons, late 80's "302" casting heads rebuilt with 1.88/1.60 (stock 360) valves, Comp XE268 cam, aluminum dual plane intake, smallish 4 barrel (Eddy 1406 or 670 Avenger), and a decent torque converter.

You say you have headers and dual exhaust now, so I'm guessing typical 1 5/8" Hedmans and 2 1/4" duals. I'm also assuming you have a high mileage 904 transmission and a 7 1/4" rear with 2.76 gears. The above combo should make pretty good power and have good street manners. Don't forget about the rest of the drivetrain, front end, and brakes.

Hey

This info is great. I do have Headman's but I do not know the size. I put on a Performer 600 and manifold and new ignition. I beleive the trans was alreay rebuilt as it is very smooth and the shifting is great. The rear end will need some love. It came with factory front discs and I recently did the brake job myself. Front end is all new. Bushings arms shocks etc.

One more pain in the butt question is that if I get all of this stuff for the motor, a good motor man will be able to get it done? I have never done a motor so this is new. Any idea what Machine cost will be? Any suggestions on that?

Thanks again men. Allot of fun reading the ideas.

BD

Hey

This info is great. I do have Headman's but I do not know the size. I put on a Performer 600 and manifold and new ignition. I beleive the trans was alreay rebuilt as it is very smooth and the shifting is great. The rear end will need some love. It came with factory front discs and I recently did the brake job myself. Front end is all new. Bushings arms shocks etc.

One more pain in the butt question is that if I get all of this stuff for the motor, a good motor man will be able to get it done? I have never done a motor so this is new. Any idea what Machine cost will be? Any suggestions on that?

Thanks again men. Allot of fun reading the ideas.

BD

I just got done with my 318 the short block cost 700 to get rebuilt and machined the stock heads 350 with machine work and all new parts.. I also purchased hooker headers eddy 600 cfm and performer intake new mini starter dual exhaust with flowmasters. All new parts just waiting on radiator... then I can tell u how fun it will be

I rebuilt my 318,Comp Cams want you to use at least 9to1 pistons and 3.55 gears with the 268.

-
Back