318 Running Hot

-

Terry8675309

Reaction score
Hey guys, my mild built 318 is running hot! I upgraded the thermostat and bought a new 4 core aluminum radiator and a racing water pump. When I am driving the car the temp hovers around 190 deg. When the car is at an idle it will overheat/redline within 3 min. I AM NOT currently running a fan shroud, would that matter this much? Any help would be greatly appreciated.-----Thanks, Terry

what temp is your new thermostat? i had this issue in the past and had to use a race only tstat and also got dual 10inch electric fans and wen i drove the car from canada to calif for mopars at the playboy mansion it never moved off 185

what temp is your new thermostat? i had this issue in the past and had to use a race only tstat and also got dual 10inch electric fans and wen i drove the car from canada to calif for mopars at the playboy mansion it never moved off 185

Electric fan's mount tight to the rad. Pump driven without a shroud just blows air around the engine compartment.

thanks guys,picked up a fan shroud today,and will have it in this week.I'll let you know what happens

Shroud will help. Pulley driven racing water pumps are set up to minimize drag on the engine at high rpm.

How close is your fan to your radiator? I run a 340 in my Dart without a shroud and Idling in traffic I get maybe to 190 on very hot days. Try to shoot for about 1 1/2 away. Also if you it's an auto, a trans cooler will drop radiator temps a bit. Seen 15 degrees on my wifes car.

my daily driver is a 318 car. i pulled a 26" 2 core radiator and fan shroud out of an 86 lebaron. my fan is a 7 blade solid mount and sits an inch away from the radiator. i use a 195* thermostat. its all i can do to get it hot. i can sit in traffic all day in 95* heat .

-
Back