318 running rough and losing vacuum when in gear.

-
Careful, you may be exactly right. However, some converters have weights to balance the CONVERTER to itself, but they are not necessarily the counter weights for a 360. The weights that balance the converter to itself are usually small. The 360 weights are much longer. Just be sure before you knock of weights. But this being said, it could very well be you found your problem
thanks, I see the small weights on there. the other weight is on the front (motor side). took the whole thing to mister transmission and left it there for them to check it out. should hear this week. having a trans go TF2 installed while it's there and also getting a 2800 install. figure while it's out it's the best time to do what I wanted to it. then I'll re-install it into the car and see what happens.

That nasty ratcheting sound when going back to park is normal because the output shaft is spinning.
They are made so that excessive force against the park lock will result in the park lock giving instead of blowing the side of the case out.
It's not something you want to do on a regular basis of course, but it's made to do exactly what was described.
If I were the owner of that car I'd find out where the problem with the ignition, timing and carburetion is because I'd bet 100 bucks it isn't because of the converter.
It sounds like it's mostly a carb problem.

I'm sure this has been discussed many times but here's my issue. 1971 dodge dart 318 2bbl cast intake. electronic ignition. 727 auto. only mod. is the elec ign. was running fine with it.
first started when cruising home and I would be running at a certain RPM. car would start to run like it was running out of gas or missing. if I gave it a little gas or let off on the gas it worked fine. came to a stop sign and the rpm died right off and car was shaking and hunting. noticed my power brakes were not working. idles not bad but if you gently apply the throttle it has a spot at low rpm where it bogs, runs rough and no power. give it a little more throttle and it picks right up. at idle if you apply brakes or put in gear the car almost shakes apart and runs super rough and rich. thought power booster leak? nope ! here is everything I have done since to try and fix it. booster plugged still does it in gear.
plugged power brake vacuum port.
did complete vacuum leak check several times with spray can, propane you name it. no leaks
new dissy, cap, rotor, wires, plugs. to verify (bought second set of wires, cap,rotor, plugs)
new coil and ballast
complete carb rebuild
new egr and cleaned port. no luck. plugged egr port.
new PCV and tried plugging
set timing several times. has to be very advanced to idle fairly smooth.
got feed up. installed new aluminum intake and 4bbl. looked at cam lobes, lifters and rockers.
new fuel lines and filter, gas tank vent. even remove gas gap to ensure vented. fuel pump has good pressure.
nothing helped at all.
I am positive no vacuum leaks, timing is correct, firing order is correct, operating temp. is good. oil level is good. had someone else verify timing and firing order and check for vacuum leaks encase I missed something.
I have a tranny leak but I keep the fluid up. Only other thing is besides leak is when I put car on stand I cannot turn the back wheels by hand unless I have it in neutral. but it was like that before the engine started acting up. tranny seems to be shifting fine.
I know it was long. just trying to avoid having a long thread of questions that I should have included myself. thanks
Keep er STR8UP and between the ditches!!!!!!
Hello sir, my name is cam. I have been looking through forums and such for the past two years and today I decided to word my Google search differently than normal and it came up with this thread. I realize it was almost 8 years ago now. But I was here in hopes of reviving this thread or getting a resolution or outcome to your issue as from reading though it I did not see an official resolution to the issue you where having. It's almost as if I wrote the initial post myself. I am having the exact issue and I have done most everything you have to resolve it. It has been two and a half years of not being able to enjoy my car. I was hoping maybe a solution was found. I have a 1974 plymouth duster with 318. Please any help is appreciated as I'm far beyond frustrated and heart broken due to this.

Best regards,

Cam

Hello sir, my name is cam. I have been looking through forums and such for the past two years and today I decided to word my Google search differently than normal and it came up with this thread. I realize it was almost 8 years ago now. But I was here in hopes of reviving this thread or getting a resolution or outcome to your issue as from reading though it I did not see an official resolution to the issue you where having. It's almost as if I wrote the initial post myself. I am having the exact issue and I have done most everything you have to resolve it. It has been two and a half years of not being able to enjoy my car. I was hoping maybe a solution was found. I have a 1974 plymouth duster with 318. Please any help is appreciated as I'm far beyond frustrated and heart broken due to this.

Best regards,

Cam
Str8up hasn't been here since Dec 2016. You'll get a lot more help if you start your own thread.

-
Back