318 running with low power - dyno

-
Thanks for all the repplies. Sorry for the delay, been busy in work.

I'm using comp 901-16 springs, and I used a 3.90 rear gear set (posi lock also), my time was 10.3s in 1/8 mile... not a big improvement, maybe caused by low comp ratio (the engine did not produced useful power in high rpm). I'm using the 1" carb spacer for more power (my time gets better by .100 second), and I do have the problem with the spread bore intake x square bore carb, need to buy an adapter to fix this...

I removed the 3.90 rear gears, because the car was very crazy with then... much more gear changes, with no good time results. Just think about it, I did 3 gear changes in 200 meters, not to mention the street factor, a very small step on gas pedal, and a gear change was needed... Maybe if the engine could run up to 6000 rpm (under normal circunstances), I was still using the 3.90 set.

Also a funny fact, in Brasil, Dodges uses GM rear axles (C-clip 10 bolt).

I do agree that I have poor heads, my uncle did the port job, and it only took 4 hours. The rest of the head assembly was done by a heads repair store. My Action Plus do have 340/360 ports, and my heads were ported (maybe not a good word) to this runners size.

About timing, this have proven (1/8 time) to be the best timing. I'm getting full advance at 2200 rpm.

About rear tires, I have two setups:
a) BF Goodrich 225/60/14, on a stock 5.5" rim
b) Nexen N3000 245/45/16, on a 7.5" rim

When I use the Nexen, the time is always 0.200s better then the other, my best time of life with this car was 10.2s, but I was using a real crazy distributor (from a friend, bad readings, couldn't adjust it well, if I remember, 36º max)

I also have a Edelbrock 600 cfm, but runs slower (about 0.1 ~ 0.2s)
I'm running the 1407 750 cfm with standard jets (.113 and .111), bigger jets don't makes me faster, did not tried smaller until now.

My carb spacer have the option of using that 4 hole setup in middle, I will try this.

I do have my original rebuilt heads, and a K6901 camshaft (from summit), should I change any of this?

Are the springs new? What is the installed height of the springs? Seats sunk, longer than stock valves, wrong keepers or retaines can all change the installed height, and reduce the pressure of the springs.

Are the springs new? What is the installed height of the springs? Seats sunk, longer than stock valves, wrong keepers or retaines can all change the installed height, and reduce the pressure of the springs.

I will do a double check on this, maybe in weekend.

Also, I'm using a 4 spd manual trans.

Put the 107 jet back in the secondary. A 1407 should have a 107 for secondary jetting from Edelbrock.

What is the ignition timing when the car is idling?

It has to be the Compression.

If it's too low, that Engine will be a 'bone'.

How far are those 'Dish' Pistons sitting down in the bore hole ?

What is Cylinder Head combustion chamber CC level ?

-
Back