318 spark plugs

-

74dart

Reaction score
What type of autolites and champions can I use for my 318? Im not interested in any other type of sparkplug, I am just looking for the number on the box. I was thinking it was somewhere around 65 for autolites but I honestly can't remember.

To answer your question, the stock plug, style heat range and depth of the plug, will serve you well from a stock configuration to a well preped and hit street engine. Start with the stock Champion number and then work towards the numbers that superceed it.

The numbers of the Champ plugs also can be cross refferenced to any other manufacturer of plug.

Rare is it that a hopped up engine will require a colder plug eceeding 2 steps cooler.

Can anyone tell me anything about the NGK splitfire or V-power spark plugs?

Yeah, can you say pre-ignition 4500 times per minute?

What is the stock champ? Off the top of my head, it's like a N11YC? Or was it a 14YC.........

Auto 65 never lets anyone down.

Whatever specific spark plug you wind up picking as far as electrode configuration and heat range NGKs are much more consistently manufactured of much higher quality materials, and you can see the obvious difference for yourself by buying a Champion, an Autolite, and an NGK all for the same application and spending sixty seconds examining the three spark plugs.

Which ones would I recommend? NGK ZFR5N, see here. Heat range is equivalent to a Champion #13 (as in N13YC) or an Autolite 55/65, but with a projected extended electrode that moves the spark point closer to the middle of the combustion chamber, away from the quenchout zone.

Splitfire = scam.
Multi-electrode plugs in engines not specifically designed for them = scam.
"Magic" spark plugs (E3, etc.) = scam.

V-power = the notch in the centre electrode of an NGK non-platinum spark plug. Not a scam. It theoretically increases the exposure of fuel/air mixture to the spark. Nippondenso's U-groove and AC's (previous) fire ring were different implementations of the same valid idea.

Has anyone used V-power on here? And can maybe tell me how reliable and If they are worth getting or not?

Oh for God's sake not another plug thread. You'll never feel the difference between any of them. Pick one and go with it. Do like I do and get what's on sale.

Has anyone used V-power on here? And can maybe tell me how reliable and If they are worth getting or not?

I use them, they're fine and last just as long as the plug considered best by everyone out there.

I really will use any plug [non gimmic] that has the light anodized color cause they are easier to read.

start with a stock replacement plug and then check/assess if it is the correct heat range for your app say if it's been modified-compression/cam etc..

Oh for God's sake not another plug thread. You'll never feel the difference between any of them. Pick one and go with it. Do like I do and get what's on sale.
X2 you should check to see the color of whatever plug you choose after running it for a bit. You'd want a nice brown color. IMO

LOL X3...kind of. I normaly run Champs. OE for the engine or 1 step cooler. RN12YC's.

Do I set the gap the same on a NGK v-power as a autolight 65...im guessing this is a stupid question.

Thank you everyone, just picked them up from the parts store and cant wait to put them in. I appreciate all the contribution from all the members, thanks.

Whatever specific spark plug you wind up picking as far as electrode configuration and heat range NGKs are much more consistently manufactured of much higher quality materials, and you can see the obvious difference for yourself by buying a Champion, an Autolite, and an NGK all for the same application and spending sixty seconds examining the three spark plugs.

Which ones would I recommend? NGK ZFR5N, see here. Heat range is equivalent to a Champion #13 (as in N13YC) or an Autolite 55/65, but with a projected extended electrode that moves the spark point closer to the middle of the combustion chamber, away from the quenchout zone.

Splitfire = scam.
Multi-electrode plugs in engines not specifically designed for them = scam.
"Magic" spark plugs (E3, etc.) = scam.

V-power = the notch in the centre electrode of an NGK non-platinum spark plug. Not a scam. It theoretically increases the exposure of fuel/air mixture to the spark. Nippondenso's U-groove and AC's (previous) fire ring were different implementations of the same valid idea.

I also like and use NGK plugs.... V-Power #BKR5E is what I'm gonna use in my warmed over 318.

slantsixdan, I'm dazzled that you feel the same about NGK...LOL :)

Just put Autolites in and forget about any other brand..nuff said..

#1 NGK (hate to admit it)
#2 Champion
#3 Autolite
#4 Bosch
Autolites WERE good at one time. My .02.

-
Back