318 three speed help!

-

BlueDream

Aspiring Mopar enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, I know nothing about transmissions. I have a slant six 1973 Dart Sport with the three speed on the floor and I'm getting ready to drop in a 318. Attached to the 318 is a 727 automatic but I really don't like automatics. for 41 years the car has had a manual trans and I would really like to keep it that way. I have a bell housing for a small block v8 and a three speed transmission. I looked up the casting number on it and I believe it was from 1968 just like the motor but i'll have to double check. When I pull the motor I'm going to pull the trans too and have a good look at it, as of right now it's not wanting to go in reverse or first when the car is running. I don't know whats wrong with it but its gotten progressively worse every time i've driven it. I've been told it could be a bad throwout bearing, bad clutch fork, bad pressure plate but I just don't know. So I have three questions. Would the bell housing I have work with the 1968 318 and the 1973 trans? And if so, what would I have to do to the transmission to fix the problems i'm having and make it worthy to put behind the 'teen? Also, I know I will need a flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. Is there anything else that I need to do the swap? Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just trying to decide what to do. Any help I can get I would really appreciate. Thanks!!

Sorry I'm no manual trans. guy so I can't help but try posting this question in the manual transmission section. You'll probably get more attention there. This section is geared more towards automatics and rear ends

...............the pilot hole for the input shaft will likely be too short for the trans input shaft, which u can shorten a bit and also the pilot hole will be too small in diameter, so u will need to get a bearing that fits in the crank register from ma mopar, mancini or other parts places.........kim........good luck with ur swap...........have u given thought as to what motor mounts u will need......Schumacher Creative Industries makes adaptor mounts for ur swap

-
Back