318 time improvement

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
Well last time I went to the track my car did a 14.88 @91 mph with a 2.01 and the build was...
40 over edel performer, edel 600 cfm, hooked headers, 3.91 s.g, stock heads and bottom end, 904 manual v.b.. Herbert cam 477 lift 225-230 @50

so what I'm wondering is how much improvement in times will I get adding the following....

302 heads 188-160 fully ported, edel single plane torker, 650 holley dp with a proform main body and a comp.xe 268h and heads gasket matched to int..

I have 28/9/15 slicks I'm sure the build now should have a 14.50-60 I just have to mess with tire pressure and take offs it wss my first time to a track so lots more to learn....

Anyway with adding the new heads, int, cam and carb what times do you think ill get

its hard to say, it will deffinately help, but you won't get the full potential unless you get some decent compression... i'm assuming since you said stock bottom end, its probably in the kerosene burning range lol. do you know how much comp. you have now? the 302's will add some. i dunno bout that 60ft. with a 2800 stall and 3:91 sg you outta be better than that, i'd say your givin up at least a tenth right there maybe a little more. i'd say by the specs on that herbert cam your running, it me be a little much with your current setup, but it probably wouldn't make much of a difference (if any) if you went a lil smaller.. ur givin up alittle e.t with that carb too, good choice by goin to holley.

i'd say properly tuned your lookin at about low 14's, i really can't see the swap pulling out over a second of e.t, but you never know. i think it all gonna come down to what you final c/r is before and after the swap, you would be surprised at the difference between 8:1 and 9:1 with good worked over heads and cam, it might not be as noticable when stock, but the more heads,cam, carb, the more that point of comp. will help. but if you get low 14's a decent shot of juice will put it in the low 13's easy... and thats still impressive with 318 c.i, and basically mild parts.

kool thanks so the key is compression ? Would 10 to 1 be good..... My cr now is like 8.5 to 1 but im planning to add the 302 heads which gives me .75 plus a thin gasket which raises my cr .50 and if i mill my heads i can achieve 10 to 1

kool thanks so the key is compression ? Would 10 to 1 be good..... My cr now is like 8.5 to 1 but im planning to add the 302 heads which gives me .75 plus a thin gasket which raises my cr .50 and if i mill my heads i can achieve 10 to 1

yes, compression is vital on most performance upgrades. compression just helps the other upgrades work better and to their full potential.. if you've already got a true 8.5:1, and you can get and extra point from the heads then that would work great, but you gonna have to make your mind up now wether your gonna run nitrous in the near future or not... if so then run a good head gasket, stay away from the thin one. basically anywhere from 9.5 to 10:1 is great for street strip... but heads/milling/gaskets can only help so much with comp. it might require a little milling, but you should get about 1 point fairly easy.

just try an get as close to 10:1 as possible without goin overboard on milling. you might not be able to get that much,but when it comes time, your just gonna have to calculate everything and see.. thicker gaskets will drop comp. just a smudge, maybe about .3 but basically if you can get anywhere within the mid to high 9to1's with the thick gaskets you'll be fine, and reliable on nitrous.

Ok I'm hoping to achieve 12s with the future set up and a 125 shot or 150.....

Thanks for helping me out

-
Back