318 to 360 Direct bolt in?

-

oneway71

Reaction score
Hello,
Quick question, I am not familiar with Mopar Sb's
I was wondering if swapping a 360 into a mid 70's abody with a 318 is a direct swap. Are the mounts, bellhousing, torque converter, Radiator, etc, direct hook ups?

I am purchasing an abody with a 318 and if the motor needs rebuilding I would just swap in a 360 instead.

Thanks

The passenger side engine mount is the same but the drivers side is a little different between the 318 and 360. The K-frame is the same, just the mount on the engine is different. You might be able to modify the 318 mount to work. If not you'll need one for a 360. Also the 360 is balanced differently so you'll either need a 360 torque converter or a B&M flex plate to properly balance the 360. The transmission is most likely a 904. If that's the case the B&M flex plate for it is part # 10239. If by the off chance it's a 727 trans the part # is 10236. Other than that everything else is the same.

The passenger side engine mount is the same but the drivers side is a little different between the 318 and 360. The K-frame is the same, just the mount on the engine is different. You might be able to modify the 318 mount to work. If not you'll need one for a 360. Also the 360 is balanced differently so you'll either need a 360 torque converter or a B&M flex plate to properly balance the 360. The transmission is most likely a 904. If that's the case the B&M flex plate for it is part # 10239. If by the off chance it's a 727 trans the part # is 10236. Other than that everything else is the same.

Thanks, I had forgotten about it being externally balanced. Should be an easy swap.

Watch the engine front cover and radiator, too. Until 1970 on the LA engine family the water pump intake was was on the driver's side. In '71 it changed to the passenger side. The easiest thing to do is to swap the radiator with one that lines up like the incoming engine. You could fabricate a tube to move from one side to the other, but there isn't a lot of room for the 90º bends needed. It also ends up looking like something off some stills I saw back in the day. Otherwise, you'll need to swap the front cover, water pump, and harmonic balancer. Depending on the bolt pattern on the balancer, you may have to swap the crank pulleys, too.

Thanks for all the info. I did pick up the 73 Dart today and just got it back home! 318/904

-
Back