318 using oil

-

7duster4

Reaction score
My 318 has around 10,000 miles since the rebuild. Always changed the oil around the 3,000 mile mark. A couple weeks ago I checked the dipstick to find the mark right on add. About 1,500 miles since the last oil change. I had half a quart lying around and added it. tonight I checked again to find it near add. Is this a common problem with these engines? I just added oil a couple weeks back. I haven't noticed any blue smoke. Oil pressue is always great. I'm no mechanic but what else could be causing this? The dipstick is aftermarket but pretty accurate. A little dissapointed being the engine has been rebuilt.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

A quart every 3000 miles is about right for a 318. Sounds like you may have gotten some crappy valve stem seals for your rebuild or they were cut during installation. Get another set from a dealer and make sure they are installed with a squirt of oil and the valve stem cap in place. The cap is a little plastic deal that slips over the end of the valve and keeps the edges of the valve stem from cutting the seals when they are installed. Should be in the valve stem seal kit you buy. That should do it.

I like to mark a dipstick at full only after starting fresh with a new oil filter and 5 quarts(with a 5 quart stock pan) after running the engine and shutting it down for 15 minutes. Then I mark full on the dipstick where the oil level is. If your dipstick is showing full when the engine is overfull it will consume the oil until the crank isn,t whipping it around so much. How do the plugs look? any oily deposits?

Not normal to start using that much oil all of a sudden. Any changes to engine since re-build?

Clean engine thoroughly to find outer leaks. During cleaning check these potential sources: Drain plug, front/rear mains, valve covers, oil pressure sending unit, dizzy, oil filter and elbow (if so equipped). Head to block leak outside possible, but not likely. If potential sources are located, run engine for a few minutes to see if leak re-occurs. Need to rule out oil being blown back by airstream from one location to another. Check integrity of oil pan, just in case.

Inner leaks: Clogged PCV valve, valve seals, head gasket (check to see if there is oil in water and vice versa), check plugs for oil coating. Also check exhaust pipe for oil coating inside.

Good luck.

No major changes except recently we switched the carb from a 500cfm to a 600cfm. A couple weeks back I pulled a plug out and looked good. It was a tan/gold color which from what I have been told is what it should be. Everytime I change the oil I do the filter as well. Latley I have been using the K&N filter with 5 quarts of Valvoline VR-1 oil. No oil leaks except a small amount I am assuming leaks from one of the intake bolts and collects into one the dips beaneath where the carb sits. Every so often I just wipe it off. Dosn't really amount to anything in the long run. I put in a new PCV valve about a year ago. Last time I popped the radiator cap off the coolant look fine. Real green didn't seem to notice any oil. I'll check the other places as well such as the exhaust is a good idea.

Thanks for everyones feedback, much appreciated.

Have someone follow you, then do some hard acceleration and deceleration tests. Smoking on the gas usually bad ring seal. Smoke off the gas usually bad valve seals or guides. Just because things are rebuilt, it doesn't mean it was rebuilt right.
My 273 in my Barracuda for example was "rebuilt" before I got the car. The first 250 miles I put on it, it used 3.5 quarts of oil!
I redid it last winter myself, I just went on a 3,500 mile round trip from MN to the Grand Canyon. It used about a half quart of oil. :-D

-
Back