318 vs 340

-

howco4

Reaction score
Just begun work on a 70 Swinger I've garaged for some time. According to my Vin #, it was a slant 6 car. It now has a v8 installed by previous owner. How do I tell whether I'm looking at a 318 or a 340. There must be a code somewhere on the block???

Tnx: Howard C

theres an engine code under the ehxaust manifold on the drive side.. once you get it you will have to decode it..

you can do that here too..

i bet ya its a 318 tho

There is a number cast in the driver's side of the block followed by a space and 3 more numbers. Those 3 numbers are the engine size, but you usually have to pull the starter to read them.

For some additional info you can look on the other side of the engine toward the front of the car but stamped into the block. The info on that side is the date the engine was produced. We've had good luck finding the engine cast number (to determine the cid) with the aid of an adjustable mirror. Both our cars have headers and it is difficult to see the numbers.

Hope for that 340!!

I went to the link listed to verify my 'new' 360, but the number is not there. It is a 1976 360 from a camper. The number is 4006830-360. Are there any other charts I can look it up in? Thanks

Ryan

Mopar was supposed to have stamped the engine size and vin on the front of the block just below the drivers side head. I've not ever been able to find one. The only sure thing Ive ever seen is the casting number in the side of the block below the exhaust manifold just as the other guys have said.

assuming it has never been apart just look at the heads under the valve covers and read the numbers all 340 heads have 340 cast into them where as the 318s dont but the best and easy way is to just look on the driver side of the block and it will say 318 or 340

66dartgt said:
Mopar was supposed to have stamped the engine size and vin on the front of the block just below the drivers side head. I've not ever been able to find one. The only sure thing Ive ever seen is the casting number in the side of the block below the exhaust manifold just as the other guys have said.

I found numbers stamped on the pad just in front of the head on my block...with the ci.

4006830-360

will his 360 have an RV cam in it? 2 or 4 bbl?

might be as good a score as a 340 would've been!!!

i mean a 340 is nice and all.. nice and Exspensive..

:toothy7:BOOOYA:toothy7:

Thanks for all the input. I will be pulling the engine in the near term. I,m not up to standing on my head right now trying to look at the numbers. One interesting thing I've found out about the car, is that the firewall has four coats of paint on it, Black, Blue, Magenta, and The original White. (Oh Boy!) Howard

66dartgt said:

I found it stamped on my 79 360 just below the drivers side head on front of the block. Also seen it on a 318 before. Both times the stampings were very light and I had to scrape the paint off to find it because the paint actually sunk into it so you couldn't see it.

HI Guys: I found the motor ID stamped in front of the block, drivers side. It's very light, so if your block has a heavy coat of paint, it may not be detectable. Bye the Bye: It's a 340. At least the previous own didn't lie to me about that.

-
Back