318 w/ Magnum Heads. Cam and Intake?

-

T56MaxTorq

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some input on a 318 for an 84 ramcharger. The 360 I had rebuilt for it burned oil bad, the bores are out of round and the knurled valve guides are trashed. I have the old 318 and figuired it would be a good platform for a better build at a different machinist that won't screw me. It needs to be done on the cheap since I lost so much cash with the 360 but thats the way she goes I guess.

Here's my idea, 318 with stock bore and pistons, hone it, zero deck, new bearings and rings. Magnum heads with a good truck cam, needs a lot of low end torque for the poor gearing. With the magnums higher rocker ratio, how do I get a cam that wont add too much lift? I couldn't get an actual magnum cam cause the 318 has hyd flats. I was also thinking about have the shop tap the heads to work with an LA 360 4 bbl intake or my old performer. Bad idea? I really need to run a/c since the truck is going to phoenix. If I can get a magnum intake that has the holes for a/c and an offset water neck I'll take it but I don't think they make one.

Another option is to use the old 360 heads. They're 308 castings, have good springs but the valves are trashed. 2.02 inchers maybe? Unsure about the condition of the exhaust valves though. I have 1 good bare magnum head but more are easy to come by. What would you guys do?

-
Back