318 without AC, need diagram of alt mounting

-

TylerW

Reaction score
As the title says, going from AC to no AC and I need a diagram of how the alternator mounts and the belts route please.

Thanks!

As the title says, going from AC to no AC and I need a diagram of how the alternator mounts and the belts route please.

Thanks!

Did you change the pullies? Air and non air use different belt arrangements.

What's going on is I've been using the dual belt AC and alt arrangement as used on the '84 donor engine until I find the right pullies and brackets, because the '71 its in now doesn't have air.

After studying on it I've concluded that the best place to find a non-air set of factory pulleys will be from a truck or van.

Thanks for the help...

i can try to get u some pictures off of my dodge truck. it will be the same as what you are needing. i probable have a couple sets of the brackets.

TylerW,

There is a very quick, cheap way to use the pulleys and brackets you currently have.
What I did (with my '71 Dart GT) was purchase one of those universal chrome, Small Block Chevy, alternator arms and cut it down to use as the front bracket.
I then purchased a 2nd power steering belt (Federal pump), ground a rib off of the water pump, and run the alternator off the forward most pulley down to the crankshaft.
Has been working this way for about 1 1/2 years and cost about $20 total (belt & bracket).
Check out the attached photo & pardon the mess.

AC Removal Mods.jpg

TylerW,

There is a very quick, cheap way to use the pulleys and brackets you currently have.
What I did (with my '71 Dart GT) was purchase one of those universal chrome, Small Block Chevy, alternator arms and cut it down to use as the front bracket.
I then purchased a 2nd power steering belt (Federal pump), ground a rib off of the water pump, and run the alternator off the forward most pulley down to the crankshaft.
Has been working this way for about 1 1/2 years and cost about $20 total (belt & bracket).
Check out the attached photo & pardon the mess.

This is what I did in a way, but I did even less. I never ground the rib off the the pump, and used a short enough belt(don't remeber the exact size, been 6+ years) that it was fine, and used the exsisting brackets(yeah I know looks like crap)... The total cost was like 4 bucks.... LOL

That was when I was in High School though and know a lot better now. I believe there are aftermarket companies maybe even besides march that will make the correct pullies. Or just convert to serp now.

I'm doing the same swap on my '70 Duster 318. Although what I did was get a non-A/C water pump pulley off eBay for $28 incl. shipping (larger diameter and reaches farther towards the engine, hopefully will quiet down my fan a bit) and I plan to run one belt along the crank, water pump, and alternator, then another from the crank to the power steering pump.

Summit told me "to remove my pulley". I don't think they/I understand. What I'm looking at is this pic..
IMG_20180221_104828.jpg
I'm thinking just swap belts from either side.

-
Back