318 wont rev above 5,300

-
Thanks rklein 383 and Mr.Hemi - I'll check that. I have to wait till all the stinkin salt of the PA roads thought to really test it out.

What are your spark plugs Brand/Range...and what are they gapped to? Boost tends to BLOW the spark out under High Load situations.
I recommend nothing but NGK Copper Plugs.

If your plugs are gapped like stock specs....close them up to .028 and report back.

I agree with everyone else....you need less Final Drive Ratio to fully load that bad boy on the big end....mmm SG 3.23's

Good luck.

Agreed!

Also, if your springs were done at 5300 without boost wouldn't it be worse with the added pressure on the seat of the intake valve with boost?

Maybe throw less gear, more boost, shift at 5,000 and keep the 318 alive forever. Just put 2.94's in our 318 and 2.76's in the Slant. Later

A stock ignition will survive 5500 rpm as well as a stock pump. Been there done that.

The springs are more than likely the same chinese **** as the cam so there too could be a problem.

It is still in his best interest to get rid of the 3.91 gear! TOOOO much gear for the turbo!
True, but you'll have to close the plug gap some to make sure that it can still bridge the gap under the higher cylinder pressure with boost. A good coil and ignition box helps curb that problem.

More nitrous. Then it will rev.

hmmm...irrelevant advice, or too lazy to pull the plugs and regap them?

I may not be able to figure out how a Tuff Wheel horn button actuates the horn switch, but I KNOW turbocharged engine diag.

hmmm...irrelevant advice, or too lazy to pull the plugs and regap them?

I may not be able to figure out how a Tuff Wheel horn button actuates the horn switch, but I KNOW turbocharged engine diag.

I agree. Sounds like spark blow out to me too. I had to bring the gap down to .025 with 10# of boost, stock ignition, and autolite plugs.

Check the connections at the ignition. My car was doing the same thing and I found the screws stripped that mounted my ignition box. Had my tach doing strange things also. Put in new stainless screws with nuts and problems went away. A fuel pressure gage would also be a real good idea.

-
Back