question?
do all 340 & 383 darts have torque boxes
on the front and back,my 67 GTS has them
front an back, its a 4 speed car.
I am looking at a 70' swinger 340(auto) car,
but it does not have torque boxes,is that
correct?

Only four speeds and convertibles had them. Autos did not

An auto cars may have had them, it's not common.

Is it that overpriced originally purple one?

My 69 383-s, four speed doesn't have torque boxes, front or rear. Go figure.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 463
  • 005.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 461
  • 004.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 433
  • 003.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 429
  • 002.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 435
  • 001.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 476
All the factory V-8 3-speed manual and 4-speed A-Body cars from 67-74 that i have ever seen have torque boxes in the front and the rear unless they have been rebodied or are a "fee bay" envelope car, tons of those out there!

All the factory V-8 3-speed manual and 4-speed A-Body cars from 67-74 that i have ever seen have torque boxes in the front and the rear unless they have been rebodied or are a "fee bay" envelope car, tons of those out there!

I've got two 71 V8 3 manual speed cars that do not have torque boxes on either end. Both cars came with 8.75 rears. I assure you they are not rebodies or envelope cars.

Only cars that were supposed to get torque boxes for sure were 340 - 4 speed cars as far as SB A's go. Got 4 340 Auto cars and none of them have boxes. The 2 340-4 speeds I have/had recently have boxes on both ends.

I have owned about 10 A-Body 3-speed manual cars through the years and as far as i remember they all or almost all had the torque boxes maybe one did not and yes the factory missed some (example the guy with the GTS 4-speed car on this thread). Included with those where a few 340 3-speed cars. I have owned about 60 or more A-Body cars that where original through the years and if they where manual cars from the factory they where supposed to have torque boxes to my knowledge

One year at the Mopar Nats I spent a lot of time on my knees looking at the undersides of HP 67-69 a-bodies.
What I remember is that the 383 cars had them, any trans.

The 340 automatic cars generally did not. 340 4 speeds seemed to be hit or miss. And not all got BOTH front and rear. I honestly believe the rear gear ratio may have factored into this.

My 69 A56 'cuda built 6-13-69 has them front and rear. It's a 340 4 speed factory 3.91 gear. Another surprise is the front sway bar is 15/16" diameter, not the usual 7/8".

My friend's original 73 Dart Sport, 340 4 speed has them front and rear. It may have been more of Chrysler using them more liberally into the 70's to build a more solid car in general as people became more aware and demanded less NVH. They added the cowl/fender engine compartment braces in the 70's too.

Looks like this would be an interesting poll:
Year
Engine
Trans
Gear ratio
Front boxes
Rear boxes

I guess you need to come to Amarillo and check out my 69 383-s four speed that doesn't have any torque boxes. I have had the car for almost 25 years (long before Ebay), bought it for 800 bucks. I have the fender tag, build sheet, window sticker, original owners manual with name of purchaser, (whom I called and he sent me a video of the car when it was new). All numbers match. I have heard of just about every possible combination of which cars have had torque boxes and which ones don't. Obviously, Chryslers quality control on this subject was very poor.
Rod

Apparently you did not read the other post i put up...Quote "as i remember they all or almost all had the torque boxes maybe one did not and yes the factory missed some (example the guy with the GTS 4-speed car on this thread).!!

I have seen many cars of all the Mopar bodies that were built in ways through the years from the factory not exactly as they should have been so never say never. Then again i have seen all kinds of made up ones including one example i will never forget a post coupe 69 GTX with all the paper work including fender tags and broadcast sheet. The front body stamping number matched the vin but the one on the trunk rail did not. I worked in body shops in the early 70's and seen these cars commonly being re-bodied and clipped then already so anything is possible even from back then. There also has always been stamping tools available to change body sequence number stampings and there are some who see no harm in using them to make their numbers match

well I guess I got my answer!
I have pics of my 383 4spd GTS
torque boxes,I will try to post them.
I had a 67 convertible v8 dart and a
69 GTS auto. about 25 yrs ago and they
both had them,so I was under the impression
that ALL GTS's and convertibles had them,
Thanks for all the info everyone.

P.S. its not purple

-
Back