340 and 360 block ID

-

farmer260

73 Dart Sport
Reaction score
i just got an email from a guy who has an engine block that he just has sitting outside and is looking to get rid of. its just a bare block and hes not sure if its a 340 or 360 i would like to get the block from him if its a 340 so how can you tell them apart?

I forgot my exact casting numbers on the side of the block but if it is an OEM 340, it will have a series of numbers followed by a dash and then 340, followed by a single number so something like: XXXXXXXX-340-X. Good luck.

sweet thanks! its a stock block but its been outside for a couple of years so i dont even know if it worth buying! its probibly all rusted up but if its a 340 i might take the risk and get it! i dont imagine he wants much for it!

unless its free , pass on it.

sweet thanks! its a stock block but its been outside for a couple of years so i dont even know if it worth buying! its probibly all rusted up but if its a 340 i might take the risk and get it! i dont imagine he wants much for it!

See if the seller will agree to let you take it and have it checked out (especially, if it is a 340 block). BTW: Having everything in writing protects both of you.

Stay away from blocks that are rusted from sitting in the weather for years.

The machine work to correct all the issues caused by the rust is far more than just getting a good block to start with.

Stay away from blocks that are rusted from sitting in the weather for years.

The machine work to correct all the issues caused by the rust is far more than just getting a good block to start with.

That may be true, but how many 340 blocks have I run across in the last 10 years? 2. I bought the second one, a '70 casting that looked like it had sat for many years in the Seattle weather. It cleaned up .020 and now makes those camaro guys think twice about staring me down. Any time you intend to build an engine, make sure you do the proper machining anyway. Making up the difference with the right size overbored pistons is everything. Protect your investment, and don't forget to tip your machinist. :toothy10:

-
Back