340 block help

-
I thought when you o ringed you used a tool steel wire. Seems you could deck the block and whatever was cut could be cut into the reciever groove in the head. Great set up for high cylinder pressure.

I don't know what use you intend for this engine, but if you are OK with hypereutectic pistons, then the SRP pistons for the 340 have a lower compression height; i.e., they will be lower in the bores, about .018" down in the bore with a stock deck height. They have an advertised compression height of 1.804". If you need that a bit lower, then some shops can pretty easily mill a bit off of the pistons tops. There may be other good choices.

But all of this depends on the heads you plan to use; do you have a set of heads selected?
Y
Let us know how much the shop ends up cutting the deck down.

I do have a set of heads for my set up . They are Indy X / RHS.
I am using hypereutectic KB's

Attachments

• image.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 99
Never heard of this. Some HP engines, shop would "O ring" the block deck, and copper wire rings would be used, but they are not PERMANENT

If you Google "O ring engine block" you'll find lots of info. If this is something different, don't know

Exactly.

Take your **** to another machine shop if they don't know what the copper is for.

Brian

I bought a 71 340 engine last year that had the same thing done. I just removed them with a sharp pick and put new head gaskets on. Been fine for a year now, drive the car every day. The bummer was tearing it apart to do this because my machinist said it wouldn't hurt a thing and just put gaskets on with them. Didn't work! Put antifreeze in and it was hitting the ground as fast as I was pouring it 😂

-
Back