340 cam selection?

-

duct tape

Reaction score
Just going through my 340 and was wonder if anyone had thoughts on cam selection. It's 60 over running about 10.5 to 1 comp. J heads with stainless valves and some port matching done and will be running a rpm airgap intake.

The cam I pulled out has 284 H12 CD energizer stamped on it. Is this cam any good?

I like the Comp Cams XE268 or XE274. Either one would be a good choice.
I run the XE268 in a mild 360, and it runs real well.
You probably will be able to jump up to the XE274.

Call Comp Cams and tell them your set-up, and they will pick the right cam for you.

Not sure what the cam you have is.

i think the cam you have is the 284/228@50 480 lift 112 lsa.i currently run a very similar grind in my 340.and it runs good on the street.it may not be a "fast" profile but should run well and live a long time.

i think the cam you have is the 284/228@50 480 lift 112 lsa.i currently run a very similar grind in my 340.and it runs good on the street.it may not be a "fast" profile but should run well and live a long time.

Sounds kind of close to the old DC Hemi 284 cam with a bit less lift, if its in good shape I would just run that. the 110 lbc might make a little more power but the 112 lbc will idle stronger and might pull harder on top

I think i'm gonna run the cam I have. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for 400 hp or close to.

I would, it lasted this long, likely will just keep on going. rpm is your friend when it comes to hp, that cam should rev great and be easier on the valve springs then say a Voodoo cam, yeah Voo would eek out more hp but the cam won't like 700 rpm as much as your old cam

-
Back