340 cams

-

ev2dart

Reaction score
I would like some cam recommendations for a 71 340 10.25-1 compression, 202 J heads, high flow exhaust manifolds, stock stall, 391 gears.

thanks.

The Comp XE268 comes up a lot. It`s touted as being the biggest cam you can run that will get a long with your stock converter.

The Comp XE268 comes up a lot. It`s touted as being the biggest cam you can run that will get a long with your stock converter.

So to play it safe I would go one step smaller. Unless you are looking for that rumpy rump idle. If the stall speed isn't high enough for the cam the motor will often stall shifting in gear. Not the coolest thing to happen with your lady friends aboard8)

I used that Comp Cam xe268 in a 69 340 stock x-heads, 340 exhaust manifolds, eddy ld340 and 650cfm, 4-speed, and 3.55 rear. Thats not too much different than what you are looking at. Its a great street setup with plenty of power off idle to 5500 rpm. Here is how it sounds in a vid of my old 64 Barracuda with that combo. I'm not driving it all that hard in the vid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKJZAwQHYiY"]YouTube- Dave's 64 Cuda vs Plymouth Superbird[/ame]

-
Back