340 cams

-

indasouth

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a bone stock 340 in 70' Dart. I checked out the sound posts of exhaust setups and found one I loved. He has a 509 purple cam, Hedman Headers, Dynomax Ultraflo Welded attached to a 2 1/2" H-pipe. Would my 340 run with this cam? If not, what should I be looking for. It will be a weekend car. Just want that great sound.

I have used a 292/509 and a 284/484 both in 340's with 4speeds. Both cams sounded killer and worked well imo. I think the 292 cam sounds amazing !!

The 292 did not even turn on till about 2800 to 3000 but when it did BANG !!!
The 284 was a little better on the street.

The cam in my 340, Hyd Roller
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jifx49pnUIA"]Lunati 60122 idle true duals magnaflows - YouTube[/ame]

The 509 cam sounds great and has a nasty lope...but in a stock 340 it will be a dog around town (no low end torque). I've been there, done that with a mildly built 360. That cam makes okay power above 3500 rpm, but there are MUCH better cams around that will make more power across the board. For example: anything from the Comp Xtreme Energy line, or the Lunati Voodoo line of cams will sound good AND run good. Just food for thought.

Thanks. I appreciate the input. I'm a newbie at all this stuff - and trying to do it right on the first shot.

The 509 cam sounds great and has a nasty lope...but in a stock 340 it will be a dog around town (no low end torque). I've been there, done that with a mildly built 360. That cam makes okay power above 3500 rpm, but there are MUCH better cams around that will make more power across the board. For example: anything from the Comp Xtreme Energy line, or the Lunati Voodoo line of cams will sound good AND run good. Just food for thought.
Yeah , xe 274 here , sounds good , goes great , lots o power really flat torque curve . Have 2 sound bytes in the sound byte thread , one hooker header one with hedman , hedman is newest

If you run the HYD MP cam, run the 484. Same basic sound and only gives up anything to the 509 in the last 500 rpm of usable range. Other than that, the 484 is a better stick IMO.

HotwheelsJR had a video of his car running one in a 340.

[ame=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v339/hotwheelsjr/Cars/?action=view&current=2010-11-05_13-57-48_197.mp4]
th_2010-11-05_13-57-48_197.jpg
[/ame]

Leave it alone. They are only original once. If it runs good leave it. If it needs rebuilt go for it. My two cents. Looks like a nice car.

Hey guys, I have a bone stock 340 in 70' Dart. I checked out the sound posts of exhaust setups and found one I loved. He has a 509 purple cam, Hedman Headers, Dynomax Ultraflo Welded attached to a 2 1/2" H-pipe. Would my 340 run with this cam? If not, what should I be looking for. It will be a weekend car. Just want that great sound.
if its just the sound you are after get a conservative grind from a custom grinder like isky,schneider,crower,engle,et. and have it cut on a 108 or 106 lsa. an isky 270 mega -270 duration(221@50) 465 lift 106 or108 lsa would give you that "sound" your looking for and still have plenty lower end torque so it would not be a dog on the street.

if its just the sound you are after get a conservative grind from a custom grinder like isky,schneider,crower,engle,et. and have it cut on a 108 or 106 lsa. an isky 270 mega -270 duration(221@50) 465 lift 106 or108 lsa would give you that "sound" your looking for and still have plenty lower end torque so it would not be a dog on the street.

That is something a lot of people are after. Nice mean idle but still with emphasis on lower rpm torque. I believe the Comp Thumper line has that in mind.
You seem to have some understanding of how it is achieved. Would you mind elaborating a little for those of us trying to learn?

That is something a lot of people are after. Nice mean idle but still with emphasis on lower rpm torque. I believe the Comp Thumper line has that in mind.
You seem to have some understanding of how it is achieved. Would you mind elaborating a little for those of us trying to learn?
im no expert but ill try.if you look at the thumper cams and hughes whiplash cams they are ground on a 107 lsa,but the duration at .50 is "conservative".the narrow lsa increases overlap and gives the lopey idle.on the downside it narrows the powerband among other things.however if duration is kept short,and the overlap is increased youll get a choppy idle with a narrow but streetable power band.

Leave it alone. They are only original once. If it runs good leave it. If it needs rebuilt go for it. My two cents. Looks like a nice car.
couldnt agree more moparker. just put a sweet exhaust on and enjoy what ma mopar gave us. 340darts and dusters were cleaning up the streets in my day bone stock right out of the factory.and sounded just fine. :burnout:

Hughes makes nice cams for Mopars. I would recommend the -1928 cam or the one just above that. the numbers translate as follows..

19 is the intake duration = 219° @ .050"

28 is the exhaust duration = 228 @ .050"

They are designed to take advantage of the larger Mopar lifter. Not a Chebby or
Ferd cam adapted for a Mopar.

-
Back