340 camshaft?

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
hey guys, any one ran the old mopar performance p4452782 factory muscle car reporduction camshaft and lifter pkg. 268-276-44degrees. vavle lift .429"/.444" on a center line of 114degrees. says idle to 5000rpm... it's new in the box....
i have a 318 going to run a .30 over with zero deck pistions. run the factory 318 head until i get better one.. possible 302's? have headers and a offy 360 dual plane, and a904 lock up off a toggle forr hwy only. and plan to eventually run 3.23-3.55 gears... is can going to run good for the street? with p/s , p/b and a/c... and will it have a nice lumpy idle or should i off set the cam by 2 degrees for more idle lope? any thoughts.... never delt with the factory purple 340 cam before.... any links to a sound bit on the idle quallity?

Its a fairly mild cam but still leaps and bounds better than stock. Idle is pretty smooth, plenty of vacuum for power brakes.

You will notice it,over a stock 318 can Love the fact ,you zero decked /new pistons. That's huge. Nice combo,not a big fan of the intake. 302's bowl ported,a better intake will WAKE it up. A Eddy performer ,decent and cheap used.

Well that is my plan, id i off keyway the cam for a 112 centerlint, and if i invest in 1.6 rockers.. Any possible gains? Looking to have some idle lunp at light tih exhuast cut outs with a flip of thswitch, and a good mild muffler when crusing....

Not big,on the 112 center line,unless you want to trade a lot of torque,for minimalist horsepower. The 1.6 rockers,the same .Most of the stick heads stall,.450-.475 lift. Dig the cutouts. A really good muffler,the Walker Super Turbos.

Was hope'n this cam could soun dlike a hughes whiplash a little, bu t runs better in all other rpms.... Leave it stock then? Since bought and paid for?

That cam,may surprise you. A good valvespring,mandatory. (Order stock 340 replacement springs,accept no less). The Whiplash is sweet,a lot of money.200+ for the stick. What kills you,the matching valvetrain. Lift cool,costs bucks. Would consider the Whiplash,with a top end change.This all depends ,on your budget.

all ready have eldebrock rpm valve springs going oin my stk 318 heads... an comp cams pushrods.. do you think i should go with the whiplash cam? the 318 or the 340/360? aint worried about
the money..

all ready have eldebrock rpm valve springs going oin my stk 318 heads... an comp cams pushrods.. do you think i should go with the whiplash cam? the 318 or the 340/360? aint worried about
the money..

I'm with bomber...

I'd stay with the 340 cam unless you just have to have a lopey idle...otherwise, it'll serve you well have good street manners and won't overtax any engine parts.

What exactly do you want from this thing again? Any horsepower aspirations? Times in the quarter? Lap times? What's the overall goal-then and only then can you really define what will serve your project.

The 340 cam will be excellent here. Actually, if that's what the powerband says, it's a misprint. The correct powerband for the 340 cam is idle to 5800. With good valve springs, it'll go to 6500. That's why the torque curve is so flat, because of the 114 LSA. It's just the perfect dual purpose cam for a mild street engine. Hard to beat it.

I had this cam in a stock 318 shortblock, stock 318 heads and springs, ld4b intake 600cfm eddy, headers with 12 inch glasspacks and turndowns rite off it. It would pull to 6,000 rpm. Then when I put a 2 1/2 inch exhaust with an X pipe I gained power but it only would pull to 5,800.

Then the old wore out engine spun a bearing. I rebuilt another factory 318 shortblock, put some 360 small valve heads on it with no milling so low compression. torker 340 intake, same cam and exhaust setup. Sounds a bit lumpier at idle now but still nothing like a whiplash cam. Not sure where it pulls to with this setup since my tach broke. I speculate at least to 5800.

Real good cam, I think you could even get some decent mpgs with it. If you do a head swap you can probably pick up more power with a bigger cam though.

Like perhaps a magnum head swap? Hmmm Zero decked pistons, closed quench chambers, bigger valves, better ports...that sounds like a good combo to me :)

so if i score a set of 302 csting heads, did some port matcing and porting work. any one have any info on the crosswind dual plane air gap manifold. i have a hood scoop allready clearance not an issue. so i need a lumpy idle to go twith the 6 pack scoop. that is why i am leaing towards the whiplash cam. and a good exhaust, have hooker super comp headers, holey/summit 600? plishe carp, vaccum secondaires, adn will be running a vaccum resivor for the a/c and power brakes... mostly strret car with a little fun factor. will be runniong a999 lock up with tight 1st gear has mild shift kit, with 3.23 or 3.55 gear....

Well.....in all honesty, I usually am all over recommendin the Whiplash. But I think in this case it'll be too much cam. But hay, it's yours and if a lumpy idle is what you want, by golly ding, the Whiplash is all over that. I just think as far as power, the 340 cam in your instance will be head and shoulders above the Whiplash.....but it certainly will not have the same idle quality. Keep us posted. I know I wanna hear it either way.

so if i score a set of 302 csting heads, did some port matcing and porting work. any one have any info on the crosswind dual plane air gap manifold. i have a hood scoop allready clearance not an issue. so i need a lumpy idle to go twith the 6 pack scoop. that is why i am leaing towards the whiplash cam. and a good exhaust, have hooker super comp headers, holey/summit 600? plishe carp, vaccum secondaires, adn will be running a vaccum resivor for the a/c and power brakes... mostly strret car with a little fun factor. will be runniong a999 lock up with tight 1st gear has mild shift kit, with 3.23 or 3.55 gear....

302 castings are OK, but get a good valve job, and if you're going to port, check out the sticky in this forum for porting 318 heads...before you port match them though, focus on the part about not port matching just to do it...if you open up the hole, but still have the pushrod pinch and casting irregularities, you're still bottlenecking the runner, therefore, not making real gains. Most of it from what I could read out of that sticky was bowl work is where the felt gains are.

Hot Rod did a 318 junkyard jewel build with a set of those heads, but they did some serious work...opened out to 360 port size and tapered back as much of the pushrod pinch as they could without weakening the castings, plus bigger valves and chamber blending to remove the intake shroud. They netted 370 hp out of it with one of the COMP XE grinds.

I'm still with the 340 cam for daily driver as the whiplash will sound the part, but may actually not run as well...just depends on how you put it all together.

I feel a little uneasy about recommending the Summit 600 VS carb as I've had one and it runs great when your WOT, but idle and cold start drivability left much to be desired-I'm running a manual choke 600 Edelbrock right now, and even with the choke open, it fires right up and drives away cleanly after only about 30 sec of idle. If you're going to go with a Holley type, get a Holley...or one of the 600 QuickFuel VS carbs. You won't be disappointed.

I have a Crosswind intake, and had it installed for about a week. But decided to get the real deal Edelbrock RPM Air Gap for my stock 5.2 Magnum because I was having issues with water intrusion in the oil. Turns out it was the heads leaking, not the intake, but even the base Performer would run well with either cam...the gears would be about right-especially 3.55s, they'll let it wind up well on the street.

Just my .02

-
Back