340 crank

-

74swingerlover

Reaction score
I have a crank lying around which I think maybe from a 340. Anyway of telling if it is? po# location? Bearing diameter? I will admit that I do not feel like digging it out and looking for myself right now. Hoping the pros can come through

Also how much are they worth? I have a buddy who is interested. I know that they do not work well in 360's and that is usually what I go for

Same crank as the 318. The only real thing to look for is if it is cast or forged steel. Pop one of the lobes with a small wrench and listen to the ring. Low its cast high its steel.
If it is in good shape it is worth a hundred bucks, if not maybe fifty. Turning it will cost around eighty or so. It seems like sombody says "340" and it is worth a mint, but you can interchange crank and rods without a problem. 273 and 318 are lighter rods than the 340. I built my 340 with stock 318 rods and have had excellent results.

As Jimbo said, 273, 318 and 340 all have the same rod and main journal size. The 360 has a larger main journal, but same rod journals.

Lots of cranks over the years, and steel cranks from 318s used to be pretty easy to find. Some of the early 340 cranks were factory shot peened, or so I have been told. Haven't seen it myself, but a few of the 68 to 70 340s that I have taken apart, did have pretty cranks. :D

The 273 crank has small counter balance weights, visibly smaller.
I agree with Jimbo about the sound, but for me a cast crank and forged crank are easy to spot.
A cast will have very sharp and defined parting lines, the forged crank has a more crude looking parting line. The cast crank will have very sharp and square counter balance weights, and the forged ones will be a little rounder.

Ed speaks volumes. IF you can stumble on a 273 forged crank, GET IT. Their counter weights are smaller and they are a good bit lighter than the 318/240 cranks.

Ed speaks volumes. IF you can stumble on a 273 forged crank, GET IT. Their counter weights are smaller and they are a good bit lighter than the 318/240 cranks.

Boy you got that one right, I scrapped out my 273 after the 340 went in the 65 barracuda and the very first thing to go was the crank. This guy was just peeing a ring around himself to get it for $80. He just washed it up and dropped it in his 318 happy as pie.

Thanks folks. I knew that the 318 and 340 were the same just not steel/cast. Also 273's ...... who knew. Never touched one.(yet)

-
Back